Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Yukawa interaction

1. Oct 9, 2015 #1
    Hello There I may have some mistakes so correct me when I wrote something wrong.My question is:what's the yukawa's interaction and why it is not part of standard model?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2015 #2
    I remembered having seen that once it was to compute the fourier transform of the coulomb potential it is like $$V(r)=\frac{e^{-ar}}{r}$$ then you put a to zero after the transform.

4. Oct 9, 2015 #3
    Thank you very much(;But what is α
    PS! Am I correct that r is radius?

5. Oct 9, 2015 #4
    Right.
    a is just some adjustable parameter. There are other threads on the topic too maybe worth to look at them.

6. Oct 9, 2015 #5
    Thank you so much it helped me lot.

7. Oct 9, 2015 #6

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Yukawa potential was used early on to model the strong force I believe. The exponentially decaying term gave rise to an exponential weakening of the force (strong force is short distance). But we have a better picture now of the strong force (what with the gluons and stuff). The Yukawa potential itself is just a potential with some functional force, whether nature conforms to this picture is a separate issue.

8. Oct 10, 2015 #7
    Thx same words:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook