Yukawa Interaction: What Is It & Why Not Part of Standard Model?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the Yukawa interaction and why it is not part of the standard model. The conversation also briefly touches on the Fourier transform of the Coulomb potential and the role of the adjustable parameter a. Additionally, the conversation mentions the use of the Yukawa potential to model the strong force, but notes that our understanding of the strong force has since improved.
AleksanderPhy
Hello There I may have some mistakes so correct me when I wrote something wrong.My question is:what's the yukawa's interaction and why it is not part of standard model?

Physics news on Phys.org
I remembered having seen that once it was to compute the Fourier transform of the coulomb potential it is like $$V(r)=\frac{e^{-ar}}{r}$$ then you put a to zero after the transform.

Thank you very much(;But what is α
PS! Am I correct that r is radius?

AleksanderPhy said:
Thank you very much(;But what is α
PS! Am I correct that r is radius?
Right.
a is just some adjustable parameter. There are other threads on the topic too maybe worth to look at them.

Thank you so much it helped me lot.

The Yukawa potential was used early on to model the strong force I believe. The exponentially decaying term gave rise to an exponential weakening of the force (strong force is short distance). But we have a better picture now of the strong force (what with the gluons and stuff). The Yukawa potential itself is just a potential with some functional force, whether nature conforms to this picture is a separate issue.

Thx same words:biggrin:

1. What is Yukawa interaction?

Yukawa interaction is a type of fundamental force that is responsible for the attractive force between protons and neutrons in an atomic nucleus. It is also known as the strong nuclear force and is one of the four fundamental forces of nature.

2. How does Yukawa interaction differ from other fundamental forces?

Unlike the other fundamental forces, such as electromagnetism and gravity, Yukawa interaction only acts over very short distances, on the order of 10^-15 meters. It is also the strongest of the fundamental forces, but its effects are only felt at the atomic and subatomic level.

3. Why is Yukawa interaction not part of the Standard Model?

The Standard Model is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and forces of nature, but it does not include the strong nuclear force. This is because the Standard Model is based on quantum field theory, which works well for describing the other fundamental forces but breaks down when trying to incorporate the strong nuclear force.

4. How was Yukawa interaction discovered?

Yukawa interaction was proposed by Japanese physicist Hideki Yukawa in 1935 as a way to explain the strong force between protons and neutrons in an atomic nucleus. It was later confirmed through experiments in the 1950s and 1960s.

5. What are the applications of Yukawa interaction?

Yukawa interaction plays a crucial role in the stability of atomic nuclei, as it balances the repulsive electromagnetic force between protons. It is also important in the study of particle physics, as it helps us understand the behavior of subatomic particles. Additionally, the strong nuclear force is being studied for potential applications in nuclear energy and medicine.