Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Yukawa Potential derivation

1. Feb 17, 2015 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2015 #2

ChrisVer

Gold Member

1st step: go to "spherical coordinates" and integrating out the [itex]\phi[/itex]... [itex] u = \cos \theta [/itex]
    2nd step: Integrating wrt to [itex]u[/itex], will give a difference of [itex]e^{i~something} - e^{-i~something} \propto \sin (something) [/itex]. In fact I wouldn't ever write it in terms of sin...
    3rd step: uses that he has two integrals one with the exponential with + and the other with the exponential with - ... then changes the integration variable of the one from k to -k, and gets this result.
    4th step: factorizes the denominator.
    5th step and then final: solves the (complex) integral

If you want to see a step in more details, you can ask for a specific one.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  4. Feb 17, 2015 #3
    I actually get it with your points! Thank you very much!

5. Feb 26, 2016 #4
    hello sir,
    i can't get the 3rd step. is change the integration variable, change the value from k to -k in that term, including the dk -> d(-k)?

6. Feb 27, 2016 #5

ChrisVer

Gold Member

like everytime you change your integration variable from [itex]x[/itex] to [itex]y(x)[/itex] what has to change is of course the differential, the integrand and the limits of the integral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook