Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Yummy recipes

1. Aug 14, 2005 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My Dad's Shrimp, Crab & Oyster Gumbo

1 med. onion, diced
    1/2 cup of butter
    1/4 cup of flour
    6 cups of chicken broth
    1 can (around 1lb) of HUNTS tomatoes, crushed (if you don't use Hunts, it may not taste as good)
    salt & pepper
    3 tsps minced parsley
    1/4 tsp thyme
    1 clove garlic
    2 bay leaves
    1 1/2 lb shrimp (peeled and devained)
    1 lb crab meat (use the good stuff folks and DO NOT SUBSTITUTE SURIMI)
    12 oz oysters (if you can't stand oyters, omit, or at least use some of the oyster liquor for flavor)
    1 1/4 tsp gumbo file powder

In a deep saucepan, melt the butter and saute the onion until it is limp, but not browned. Stir in the flour, then slowly add the chicken broth, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth.

Then add the tomatoes, parsley, thyme, garlic, bay leaves and salt & pepper to taste. Cover the pan and simmer for one hour.

Meanwhile, pick over the crabmeat to make sure all shell and cartilage are removed.

Ten minutes before serving, add the file powder, shrimp, crab and oysters, stir well & bring back to a simmer and simmer for ten minutes. Serve immediately over hot, buttered white rice.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2005 #2

Evo

Dark chocolate lovers, this is a MUST!

Hershey's Fudgey Chocolate Torte

¾ cup Butter/margarine
    6 tbs Hershey's cocoa
    1 cup Divided sugar
    ⅔ cup Ground blanched almonds
    2 tbs Flour
    3 eggs, separated
    2 tbs Water

Chocolate Glaze
    2 tbs Butter/margarine
    2 tbs Hershey's cocoa
    2 tbs Water
    ½ tsp Vanilla
    1 cup Confectioners' sugar

Melt butter in medium saucepan over low heat. Stir in Hershey's cocoa and 3/4 cup sugar, blend until smooth. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes. Blend in almonds and flour. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time. Stir in water. In medium bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating just until soft peaks form. Gently fold chocolate mixture into egg whites, blending thoroughly. Pour into greased and floured 9 inch layer pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until tester comes out clean. (Cake will settle slightly.) Remove from pan onto wire rack. Cool completely. Invert cake onto serving plate. Spread top and sides with chocolate glaze. Garnish as desired. 8-10 servings

CHOCOLATE GLAZE: Melt 2 tablespoon butter or stick margarine in small saucepan over low heat. Add 2 tablespoon Hershey's cocoa and 2 tablespoon water; stir constantly until mixture thickens. Do not boil. Remove from heat; add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Gradually add 1 cup confectioners' sugar, beating with whisk until smooth.

4. Aug 14, 2005 #3
    Have you invented these recipes??

5. Aug 14, 2005 #4

Evo

My dad perfected the gumbo recipe. He was always making soups and stews. I don't remember him ever eating anything that wasn't poured into a bowl. :bugeye:

The torte recipe is from Hershey's cocoa.

6. Aug 14, 2005 #5

wolram

Gold Member

You do know you are killing us, i hope, i think i will have to hunt you down and stop your reign of foody torture, so from now on beware of, "THE MAN WITH
    THE RUMBLING TUMMY". :devil:

7. Aug 14, 2005 #6
    I found this online and cooked it for my parents, it went down a treat;

Chicken, Lime and Cashew Nut Stir-Fry

Ingredients

250g/9oz chicken strips
    180g/6oz fine egg noodles, cooked as per instructions on the packet and left to cool
    2 tbsp/30ml/1fl oz clear honey
    4tbsp/60ml/2fl oz groundnut or corn oil
    1 tbsp chopped ginger
    1 clove garlic
    3 spring onions
    ½ red chilli
    1 small carrot
    ½ red pepper
    1 head of pak choi
    4tbsp/60ml/2fl oz dark soy sauce
    2 tbsp/30ml/1fl oz toasted sesame oil
    1 lime, zest and juice
    bunch fresh coriander, with roots
    50g/2oz unsalted, toasted cashew nuts

Method
    1. Firstly, prepare all the ingredients.
    2. Heat a large wok to a high heat. Add a little of the groundnut/corn oil and once the fat is smoking hot add the chicken. Seal the meat and when it is half cooked, add the honey and continue cooking until the chicken is fully cooked and a rich golden colour. Remove from the wok and set to one side while you cook the remainder of the dish.
    3. Add the remaining groundnut/corn oil to the re-heated wok and fry off the garlic, ginger and chilli for about 20 seconds. Add the vegetables, keeping the heat high, and moving them from the centre to the sides of the wok so that they stir fry evenly.
    4. Add the pre-cooked noodles and saute for a minute or so before returning the chicken to the pan.
    5. Mix well, add the chopped coriander, adjust the seasoning - adding soy sauce sesame oil and the lime zest and juice.
    6. Serve with a scattering of cashews over the top.

8. Aug 14, 2005 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Peanut butter - marshmallow squares!

Just like ordinary marshmallow squares, but you also mix in 10 oz. of peanut-butter chips to the marshmallows, and blend that in before you add the cereal.

(Same amount of peanut-butter chips as marshmallow, I believe. 10 oz peanut-butter to every 40 large marshmallows anyways)

Awfully yummy, but hard to stir. :frown:

Okay, it's not much, but I'm still proud of it! o:)

9. Aug 14, 2005 #8

Evo

Some of the simplest things are the best. :approve:

zanazzi, that sounds yummy!

10. Aug 14, 2005 #9

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Brewnog's Chicken Enchiladas:

2 large onions
    4 chicken breasts, chopped into 1/2" cubes
    1tbsp sunflower oil
    1tsp chilli powder
    1tsp ground cumin
    1tsp cayenne pepper
    1tsp paprika
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    3 fresh jalapeno peppers, finely chopped

500g grated mature Cheddar cheese

2 tins chopped tomatoes
    200ml chicken stock (boiling water with Oxo, Worcestershire sauce, Henderson's etc, anthing will do)

8 flour tortillas

Fry chicken in oil. When golden brown, add all spices, and fry until everything starts to smoke slightly. Add tomatoes and stock, and boil down to some kind of nice thick(ish) gloop. Simmer for as long as you can. Add more water/stock if needs be. Add half the cheese, stir until it's nice and thick. This is the scary bit, most people think it'll catch. It doesn't, it's amazing. It should also smell lovely by this stage. Simmer for a short while on a low heat. Stir like a man posessed.

Fill each tortilla with the chickeney mix. Fold over, and place in a greased baking dish, fold-side-down. Cover the rest with the remaining sauce, and then sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes in a medium (Gas 6?) oven.

Mmmmmmmm!

11. Aug 14, 2005 #10

It was the first time i realised just how great a combo, lime and corriander are together !

For a short period after everything had lime and corriander added to it,with a lot of dissaterous results :yuck: But one of the few things that did turn out very well (if i do say so my self :approve: ) was also one of the simplest, Lime and corriander Burgers. Now, if any of my friends are having a BBQ i get an order for them.

Brewy, i love enchiladas but i`ve never tried to make them form scratch! Guess what`s for tea tomorrow! :biggrin:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2005
  12. Aug 14, 2005 #11

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do it!

Don't be afraid to go overboard on the tinned tomatoes, just simmer it for longer! The longer the better.

Served best with a monster salad, and perhaps some nachos with home made guacamole and salsa, and some sour cream. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! :smile:

Oh, and crack open a really nice Italian Chianti, if you get the chance.

13. Aug 14, 2005 #12

Evo

How much does a tin of chopped tomatoes weigh? This sounds good.

I can't find my favorite cookbook now, it's not where I always keep it! :devil: It has my Canadian beer-cheese soup recipe in it! :cry:

14. Aug 14, 2005 #13
    Not a big fan of chianti but I do have a 1996 Poulliy Fume in the fridge which is begging me to drink it!

I`m not one of these people who sticks to the formal; red wine with red meat, white wine with fish etc. If it tasted good drink it!

15. Aug 14, 2005 #14

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good for you. Had a lovely glass (ahem) of Torres Paradella with beef casserole tonight! It doesn't look a good combination on paper, but it was gorgeous together.

500g for a tin, I think. The more the merrier!

Find that recipe for beer-cheese-soup, now. It sounds perfect! (No, seriously, find it NOW!) Arggghhhhh!

Beer? Yum!
    Cheese? Wahoo!
    Soup? Liquid meal? Bring it on!

I'm looking forward to this.

16. Aug 14, 2005 #15

Evo

It's REALLY GOOD!

Aaaagh!!!! It's no where to be found!!! :cry: If a certain dog ate it and a certain daughter disposed of the evidence, I am going to be really upset!!!

17. Aug 14, 2005 #16

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*Drooooool.....*

I want cheesy beery soup NOWWWW!

Just make something up so that I don't get too cross.

18. Aug 14, 2005 #17

Evo

This is similar to what it was.

BEER AND CHEESE SOUP
    ====================

Ingredients:
    ------------
    1/2 to 1 cup diced onions
    1/2 to 1 cup diced celery
    1/2 to 1 cup diced carrots
    3/4 cup butter
    1/2 cup flour
    1 tsp dry mustard
    5 cups chicken stock
    11 fl oz beer (use a can or bottle and save a swallow for the cook!)
    6 oz cheddar cheese, grated

salt & pepper to taste

Instructions:
    -------------
    Saute the diced vegetables in butter.

Mix flour and mustard into sauteed vegetables (use amount of vegetables you desire). Add the chicken stock to mixture and cook for 15 minutes. Add beer and cheese to the soup, stirring until smooth. Simmer 10-15 minutes. Check seasonings. Eat.

19. Aug 15, 2005 #18

wolram

Gold Member

Evo.
    Why do all recipes use chicken stock, can it be substituted with vegetable
    stock

20. Aug 15, 2005 #19

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yummy recipes (amounts are approximate):

Chicken tomato/yoghurt curry

Fry 3 onions until they are brown, add 3 tomatoes, add cinnamon stick, 2 cardomom pods, 4 peppercorns, cumin seeds, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, garam masala, chilli powder and salt (about 1tsp each). Stir fry for a few minutes. Add chicken pieces, stir fry until all the spices have covered the chicken. Add 2 tbsp natural plain yoghurt, lower heat and cover pan. Cook for about 15 minutes. At the end add 4 tbsp lemon juice and fresh coriander.

Chicken in cashew nut curry

First make a spice mix in a blender: 2 onions, 2 tbsp tomato paste, 1/3 cup cashey nuts, 1.5 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp garlic pulp, 1 tsp chilli powder, 1 tbsp lemon juice, ¼ tsp turmeric, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp natural plain yoghurt. Fry spice mix, add 1 tbsp golden raisins, chicken, 2.5 cup mushrooms. Add 1.25 cup water and simmer for about 10 minutes. At the end add fresh coriander.

21. Aug 15, 2005 #20

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll be making beer and cheese soup before the week's out! Woo!

Yes, yes it can.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?