Z machine fusion

• Thread starter artis
  • Start date
What is the limiting factor for a liner and it's implosion in a Z type machine?
I wonder have they tried or is it possible to use liners that have a larger radius and contain more gas or gas under higher pressure aka more dense?

Are the dimensions of the liner so small because having a larger liner under the existing power supply would not give a implosion rate fast enough to achieve significant plasma burn and fusion?

maybe someone can give a paper or something with formulas that show the relations between current through the liner walls and the wall implosion speed etc?

thank you.

Answers and Replies

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Quick, short response:
The physics of fast Z pinches
https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/14113

There are plenty of analyses, but many seem to be in journal articles requiring subscription.

One exception:
E. Ruskov, P. Ney, H. U. Rahman
The staged Z-pinch as a potential high-gain fusion energy source: Rebuttal to I. R. Lindemuth et al
https://arxiv.org/abs/1911.09223

Ruskov has his name on several papers.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Paul Colby and berkeman
@Astronuc I'm still finishing reading some other papers but I already got the one on top you linked , so pardon me if I'm asking what is already said in those papers.

Do you happen to know the pressure of D-T gas inside the liner? Assuming it's a 50/50 mixture.
I wonder what is the compression ratio of the imploding liner because the liner compression seems analogous to other forms of mechanical pressure apparatus like a piston and cylinder only with a different geometry.

Would it be fair to say that the key in such inertial confinement techniques is how fast one compresses the fuel to ignition conditions because if the compression is too slow the gas has time to "thermalize" or give of heat to the surroundings and in such escaping the breakeven temp and pressure necessary for any fusion burn?