1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Z plane in vectors

1. Jun 17, 2008 #1
    How would one draw a vector traveling in the positive z direction? Would it be a line comming out at you?

So this is just a very basic question but I do not know how to do it so can someone just give me a quick answer if you can or point me in the right direction because my book only discusses th x and y plane.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2008 #2
    In my physics class we used a circle with a dot inside for a vector in the positive z direction, and a circle with an x in it for the negative z direction. Unless your teacher has a preference, you should feel free to make up your own notation! Don't let the notation Nazi's oppress you! LOL

4. Jun 17, 2008 #3
    A dot? How would you do the components of a dot?

5. Jun 17, 2008 #4
    A force vector that has a non-zero z-component would have to be split up so that the z-component is drawn separately. Granted, this is an undesirable situation that is best avoided where possible.

6. Jun 17, 2008 #5
    I can't avoid it so how would i split it up and draw it seperately

7. Jun 17, 2008 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?