1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Z-score for common scale

1. Oct 5, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I would like to know something about the possibilty to convert data set into z-scores to ensure a common scale for analysis. More specifically, when this conversion is needed and why. I am working on motion data (from 3 persons) tracked from video and I can use a common reference for the whole data set or a reference for each single person. I found the z-score conversion in a paper, but I cannot understand when it is really needed.

thank you

jo

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The basic assumption in using z-scores is that the attribute you're measuring is normally distributed. The z-score allows you to transform values that have a mean of mu and a standard deviation of sigma to new values with mean 0 and standard deviation 1. The reason for doing this is that there are widely published tables with probabilities for z-scores, while such tables for the raw x-scores can be found rarely, if at all.

Hope that helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook