1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Z-Transform and DTFT

1. Apr 4, 2012 #1

zcd

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]
    You are given the following pieces of information about a real, stable, discrete-time signal x and its DTFT X, which can be written in the form [tex]X(\omega)=A(\omega)e^{i\theta_x(\omega)}[/tex] where [tex]A(\omega)=\pm|X(\omega|[/tex].
    a) x is a finite-length signal
    b) [tex]\hat{X}[/tex] has exactly two poles at z=0 and no zeros at z=0.
    c) [tex]\theta_x(\omega)=\begin{cases} \frac{\omega}{2}+\frac{\pi}{2} & 0<\omega<\pi \\
    \frac{\omega}{2}-\frac{\pi}{2} & -\pi<\omega<0\end{cases}[/tex]
    d) [tex]X(\omega)\Big|_{\omega=\pi}=2[/tex]
    e) [tex]\int_{-\pi}^\pi e^{2i\omega}\frac{d}{d\omega}X(\omega)d\omega =4\pi i[/tex]
    f) The sequence v whose DTFT is V (ω) = Re (X(ω)) satisfies v(2) = 3/2.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\hat{H}(z)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty h(n)z^{-n}[/tex]
    [tex]H(\omega)=\hat{H}(z)\Big|_{z=e^{i\omega}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    By parts e) and f) I've figured out that x(-2)=4 and x(2)=-1. With that and part a) and b), I've realized that the rightmost endpoint of x is x(2)=-1 and the leftmost endpoint of x is less than n=-2 (the transfer function can't converge at infinity since the system cannot be causal). Part d) gives me [tex]\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty (-1)^n x(n) = 2[/tex], but I'm unsure how to use it at the moment. I do not know how to use part c) at all. Can someone help shed some light on the problem?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?