1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Z-Transform of finite series.

1. Apr 9, 2015 #1

ElijahRockers

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ## x_j = \begin{Bmatrix}
    {1, 0 \leq j \leq N-1} \\
    {0, else} \\
    \end{Bmatrix}
    ##

Show that ##\hat{x}(\phi) = \frac{e^{-i\frac{N-1}{2}\phi}sin(\frac{N}{2}\phi)}{sin(\frac{1}{2}\phi)}##

2. Relevant equations

##\hat{x}(\phi) := \sum_{j = -\infty}^{\infty} x_j e^{-ij\phi}##

3. The attempt at a solution

So I get ##\hat{x}(z) = \sum_{j = 0}^{N-1} z^{-j} = \sum_{0}^{N-1} (\frac{1}{z})^{j}##

I believe this is a geometric series, with sum ##\hat{x}(z) = \frac{1-z^{-N}}{1-z^{-1}} = \frac{1-e^{-iN\phi}}{1-e^{-i\phi}}##

Of course this makes the assumption that ##|\frac{1}{z}| < 1 ## which I am not entirely sure about. Any tips appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it is a geometric series. Since it is finite you do not need the condition on z for convergence.

What remains is to recast it on the form given in the assignment. I suggest working backwards if you have problems.

4. Apr 9, 2015 #3

ElijahRockers

Gold Member

Sorry, I should have added that's where I am stuck. I can play around with ##e^{ix} = cos(x) + isin(x)## but it doesn't seem to be getting any closer to the final answer.

5. Apr 9, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is why I suggest working backwards. How can you express sin(x) in terms of exponents of ix?

6. Apr 9, 2015 #5

ElijahRockers

Gold Member

Got it! Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted