1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zakon : What is the problem?

1. Dec 29, 2011 #1
    I am learning mathematics on my own, self-study type. Currently following Zakon's first book in his 3 part series.

In chapter 2, section 6, I have been successfully able to solve all the problem till I encountered 11'. It seems simple enough, but I am unable to understand the problem in the first place. I believe, Once I understand the problem itself, I will be in a position to chalk out a solution.

Please help me out in actually understanding the problem.

Here is the problem:

Chapter 2, Section 6, Problem 11’

11. Show by induction that each natural element x of an ordered field F can be uniquely represented as X=n ∙1', where n is a natural number in E1 (n ∈N) and 1' is the unity in F; that is, x is the sum of n unities.

Conversely, show that each such n ∙1' is a natural element of F.

Finally, show that, for m,n ∈N, we have

m<n iff mx<nx, provided x>0

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The question asks you to prove that every natural element x can be written as

[tex]x=1+1+1+1+....+1[/tex]

where we sum 1 a number of times. Conversely, (this is very easy) every element of the form

[tex]1+1+1+1+1+...+1[/tex]

belongs to F.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook