Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ZapperZ must be crushed

1. Aug 24, 2006 #1

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

..... at the news they're getting rid of Pluto.

It makes sense, though. All of the other characters are anthromorphic animals. They talk and dress just like humans. Only Pluto acts like an animal. His presence creates some unresolvable conflicts ..... like how can Goofy, a dog, have a pet dog named Pluto?

He's even drawn in a different style than the other characters. All of the other characters are flat, while Pluto is drawn with a sense of depth.

And is it really a good idea to have a character named Pluto in cartoons for kids? Pluto is named after Pluto, which was named after Pluto, the god of the underworld. I'm not sure having kids adore a character named after the god of the underworld (even if indirectly) is a good idea. For one thing, shouldn't religion be kept separate from cartoons?

As regretable as the loss of Pluto might be, it's good to finally have consistency and order restored among the Disney characters.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2006 #2
    :rofl: According to Plato, we should not have artistic views of the ignoble. God is the doer of good and as such only does good. Therefore God can be the source of no evil, and Pluto cannot be the god of the underworld, nor any god. Our children must only learn of the true Gods. The true Gods being the source of all that is good in the world, and so, stories of Pluto must be banished from the Republic! Wow, my art theory course came in handy!

You make Plato proud Bob.

Next week, Hiedegger! :yuck:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  4. Aug 24, 2006 #3
    'Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.'

- Stephen Hawking (1942 -)

'If we fail to anticipate the unforseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilites we may find ourselvers at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categories or easily referenced'

- Fox Mulder (Fight the Future, 1998)

He will be fine :tongue:

5. Aug 24, 2006 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Oh, who cares about those crazy astronomers! As long as Disney doesn't get ride of Pluto, I'm uncrushed.

:)

Zz.

6. Aug 24, 2006 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

By what rule is Pluto disqualified?

7. Aug 24, 2006 #6
    By Plato, Duh!

8. Aug 24, 2006 #7
    Zz crushed?

What about me? :)

9. Aug 24, 2006 #8
    At least there not demoting disneyworld as a planet...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?