Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zee QFT Derivation Question

1. Jul 1, 2015 #1
    On page 12 of Zee's QFT in a nutshell, he rewrites an integral from dirac notation to a mixture of schrodinger/dirac

My question is, since NumberedEquation2.gif , what happened to the integrals, and shouldn't there be four wave functions instead of two?

I tried writing out the integrals explicitly, thinking maybe theyre integrated out with a delta function or something, but with no luck - I don't see how to get to psi(q_f).

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2015 #2

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Let me rewrite the matrix element as [tex]\langle \Psi_{F}| e^{- i H T} | \Psi_{I} \rangle .[/tex] Now insert the completeness relations [tex]\int d X_{a} \ | X_{a} \rangle \langle X_{a} | = 1 , \ \ \mbox{for} \ \ a = I , F .[/tex] You find [tex] \langle \Psi_{F}| e^{- i H T} | \Psi_{I} \rangle = \int d X_{F} d X_{I} \langle \Psi_{F}| X_{F} \rangle \langle X_{F}| e^{ - i H T} | X_{I} \rangle \langle X_{I} | \Psi_{I} \rangle .[/tex] Okay, now use the definitions of the wavefunctions [tex]\Psi_{I} ( X_{I} ) = \langle X_{I} | \Psi_{I} \rangle , \ \ \Psi^{*}_{F}(X_{F}) = \langle \Psi_{F} | X_{F} \rangle .[/tex]

4. Jul 1, 2015 #3
    I think I'm missing something extremely simple here... why is dotting ⟨X_I| into |psi_i⟩ the same as evaluating psi_I at X_I?

5. Jul 2, 2015 #4

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

And yes, you need to know the difference between state vector [itex]|\Psi \rangle[/itex] and its coordinate representation, i.e. wave-function [itex]\Psi ( x)[/itex]. Almost all textbooks explain the Bra-Ket notations and their connection to “wave-functions”.
    You seem to have no problem with [tex]\langle \Phi | \Psi \rangle = \int dx \ \Phi^{*} (x) \Psi (x) . \ \ \ \ (A)[/tex] Okay, let us work on the left-hand side by inserting the completeness relation [itex]1=\int dx |x\rangle \langle x|[/itex]:
    [tex]\langle \Phi | \Psi \rangle = \langle \Phi | ( \int dx |x \rangle \langle x | ) | \Psi \rangle = \int dx \ \langle \Phi | x \rangle \langle x | \Psi \rangle .[/tex]
    Now, if you compare the RHS of this equation with the RHS of Eq(A), what would you get?

Similar state of affair exists in elementary vector algebra. You know how to expand a vector [itex]|\vec{V}\rangle[/itex] in terms of some orthogonal unit-vectors [itex]| e_{i}\rangle[/itex] [tex]|\vec{V}\rangle = \sum_{i} V_{i} \ | e_{i} \rangle .\ \ \ \ (1)[/tex] You also know the ortho-normality condition [tex]\langle e_{i} | e_{j} \rangle = \delta_{ij} . \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (2)[/tex] You should also know how to calculate the components of the vector from [tex]V_{i} = \langle e_{i} | \vec{V}\rangle . \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (3)[/tex] You can now substitute (3) in (1) to obtain another familiar equation in vector algebra [tex]| \vec{V} \rangle = \sum_{i} | e_{i}\rangle \langle e_{i} | \vec{V} \rangle . \ \ \ \ \ \ (4)[/tex] This leads to the completeness relation for the unit vectors [tex]\sum_{i} | e_{i} \rangle \langle e_{i}\rangle = 1 . \ \ \ \ \ \ (5)[/tex] And finally, you know the scalar product [tex]\langle \vec{V}| \vec{U} \rangle = \sum_{i} V^{t}_{i} U_{i} .\ \ \ \ \ (6)[/tex] Now, imagine the vector space to be an infinite-dimensional complex vector space spanned by un-countable infinity of ortho-normal functions (vectors) [itex]|e(x)\rangle \equiv | x \rangle[/itex], i.e. just pass to the continuous limits [tex]i \to x , \ \ \ | e_{i}\rangle \to | x \rangle , \ \ \sum_{i} \to \int dx ,[/tex] and [tex]V_{i} \to V(x), \ \ \ V^{t}_{i} \to V^{*}(x) .[/tex] So, we can translate Eq(1)-Eq(6) into the continuous language as follow [tex]\mbox{Eq(1)} \to \ \ \ | V \rangle = \int dx \ V(x) \ | x \rangle ,[/tex] [tex]\mbox{Eq(2)} \to \ \ \ \langle x | y \rangle = \delta (x - y) .[/tex] [tex]\mbox{Eq(3)} \to \ \ \ V(x) = \langle x | V \rangle ,[/tex] which is what you were asking about [itex]\Psi (x) = \langle x | \Psi \rangle[/itex]. [tex]\mbox{Eq(4)} \to \ \ \ | V \rangle = \int dx \ | x \rangle \langle x | V \rangle .[/tex] [tex]\mbox{Eq(5)} \to \ \ \ \int dx \ | x \rangle \langle x | = 1 .[/tex] And finally the equation you know [tex]\mbox{Eq(6)} \to \ \ \langle V | U \rangle = \int dx \ V^{*}(x) U(x) .[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. Jul 2, 2015 #5
    Thank you for your help, I understand now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook