Calculating the Zeeman Effect: Na Lamp in 0.4T Magnetic Field

In summary, the individual is having trouble calculating the Zeeman effect for a sodium lamp placed in a magnetic field of B=0.4T. They are specifically having trouble with the Lande factor and are getting different values than the solution provided. They have shown their work and are wondering where they have made mistakes. Another individual has pointed out mistakes in their equations and provided the correct equations to use.
rayman123

Homework Statement

I have problems with calculation of the Zeemans effect.
A natrium lamp is being placed in magnetic field with B=0.4T. Calculate the Zeemans effect for the states 3s j=1/2 and 3 p j=1/2
The only problem i get in this calculations is the Landes factor...can get the right value

i get for the 3s g= 1 (i know i should get 2) and for the 3p i get 1/3 (i should get 2/3) Am I missing something? can someone check it please?
here is the solution
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/2053/namnlsp.jpg
but i still do not understand how they got this numbers...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same answer as them. Please show us your work so we can see where you went wrong.

for 3s 1/2 i get
[tex] g_{j} = 1+\frac{ \frac{1}{2}\frac{3}{2}-1+\frac{1}{2}\frac{3}{2}}{\frac{3}{2}}=1+1-\frac{2}{3}=2-\frac{2}{3}=\frac{4}{3}[/tex] now i got something else...its a bit embarrassing;)

i think i caclulate this one correctly
for 3p 1/2 i get
[tex] g_{j} = 1+\frac{ \frac{1}{2}\frac{3}{2}-2+\frac{1}{2}\frac{3}{2}}{\frac{3}{2}}=1+\frac{\frac{3}{2}-2}{\frac{3}{2}}= 1-\frac{1}{3}=\frac{2}{3}[/tex]

What equation are you using? Because I see quite a few mistakes. For example, your denominator only has one term. Also the 2nd term in the numerator looks incorrect as well.

[tex] g_{j}=1+\frac{j(j+1)-l(l+1)+s(s+1)}{2j(j+1)}[/tex]

For the s-state, you know l=0. So l*(l+1) = 0*1 = 0, but you said it is 1 in the other post.

By the way your denominator is right, I was just confused since I just saw the one term. Didn't realize you already did the math.

1. What is the Zeeman Effect?

The Zeeman Effect is a phenomenon in which spectral lines split into multiple components when an external magnetic field is applied. This is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the electrons in the atoms or molecules, resulting in changes in the energy levels and thus the emitted wavelengths.

2. How is the Zeeman Effect calculated?

The Zeeman Effect can be calculated using the formula ΔE = μBΔm, where ΔE is the energy difference between the split spectral lines, μ is the magnetic moment of the atom, B is the external magnetic field, and Δm is the change in the quantum number associated with the electron's angular momentum.

3. What is the significance of the Na lamp in the Zeeman Effect calculation?

The Na lamp, or sodium lamp, is commonly used in Zeeman Effect calculations because sodium atoms have a simple atomic structure and strong spectral lines, making it easier to observe the splitting of the lines in the presence of a magnetic field.

4. Why is a 0.4T magnetic field used in this calculation?

The strength of the magnetic field used in a Zeeman Effect calculation can vary, but 0.4T is a commonly used value that is strong enough to cause significant splitting of spectral lines but not so strong that it causes complications or damage to the equipment.

5. How is the Zeeman Effect used in scientific research?

The Zeeman Effect has been used in various fields of scientific research, such as in the study of atomic and molecular structures, determining the strength of magnetic fields in celestial objects, and in the development of new technologies such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).