1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zeeman Effect Question

1. Mar 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the splitting of the n=2 and n=3 energy levels for a hydrogen atom placed in a 2T
    magnetic field. Consider only the normal Zeeman effect (ignore spin). (a) What is the separation
    in energy between adjacent ml levels for the same l? (b) How many different wavelengths will
    there be for 3d to 2p transitions, if ml can change only by ±1 or 0? (c) What is the wavelength for
    each of those transitions?

2. Relevant equations

ΔE = μ*Δml*B <--- μ is the Bohr magneton in this case.
    λ = [itex]\frac{h*c}{ΔE}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Part a I was able to do easily, by plugging Δml = 1, and 9.274*10-24 J/T for μ.

Part b, I had a little confusion, but I believe I did correctly, given that there are 5 possible states for ml when n = 3 and l = 2, and 3 possible states for ml when n = 2 and l = 1, so there are 9 possible wavelengths that could occur?

Is this correct, or do I also have to account for each of the Zeeman effects on energy and count those as different wavelengths as well?

Finally, for part c, I understand that the equation is simply λ = [itex]\frac{h*c}{ΔE}[/itex], but my confusion again lies in the part if I use the slightly altered energy states (For example, for the n = 3, l = 2, ml = 1 state, there could be a ΔE of plus or minus 1.8548 * 10-23 J.) or if I simply use the normal, non-affected values for E, then calculate ΔE and then λ?

Thanks, and I'd be happy to clarify if what I asked didn't make sense..

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are 9 possible transitions. But you will need to go further and see if each transition gives a different wavelength.

With the magnetic field turned on, what is the expression for the energy En,l,ml of a level with quantum numbers n, l and ml? From that expression you can find ΔE for each of your 9 transitions.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted