1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zeeman effect ?

1. May 22, 2010 #1
    If electrons orbit an atom in discrete energy levels like n= 1 , 2, 3 .....
    and they never orbit in between the ground state and the first excited state .
    then why should a magnetic field break this rule and push the electron a little bit so when it relaxes back down it emits a longer or shorter wave-length of light because of the zeeman effect.

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2010 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Because there is also the phenomenon of electron spin. Each electron can have a spin of + or - 1/2 in addition to the integer value quantum numbers. When it interacts with a magnetic field, this will produce a change in energy level. Electrons with a spin of +1/2 will have a different energy level from electrons with -1/2. So there will be two sets of possible levels (separated by a small amount) and two sets of possible transitions - producing 'line splitting' in the resultant optical spectrum. The stronger the field, the bigger the splitting efffect.

4. May 22, 2010 #3
    thanks for your answer , so it depends on its quantum numbers , kind of like the stern gerlach experiment.

5. May 23, 2010 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Yes, in as far as the quantum numbers describe the energy state.

6. May 26, 2010 #5
    i still have some doubt.i really want to know.how spectral line produce.when we place a atom in a Magnetic field .then How automatic .spectal line produce.i still have some Doubt.so kindly let me know the idea.any help would be highly appreciated.sorry
    so many times to asking a very silly question.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  7. May 26, 2010 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

When an atom is placed in a magnetic field the energy levels are split into two as the spin vector precesses around the field. + and - 1/2 spins taking it up and down a bit. More field, more the levels separate. This means two possible transitions rather than just the one without a magnetic field.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook