Understanding Zee's QFT: Simplified Gauge Derivative Calculation on Page 236

• Thread starter Bowles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft
In summary, Zee's QFT simplifies the calculation of gauge derivatives, making it easier to understand and apply in quantum field theory. This approach involves breaking down the gauge derivative into simpler components and using a clever algebraic trick to simplify the calculation. By doing so, Zee's method allows for a more intuitive understanding of gauge theory and its application in quantum field theory.
Bowles
In Zee's QFT in a nutshell on page 236 between equations (1) and (2), the authors goes to polar coordinates and gets a new gauge derivative.Sure it 's simple, but I can't see how he gets it.

thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Make a printscreen and post it here to see what it's about.

Equation (1) is

[tex] \mathcal{L}=-\frac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}+\left(\mathcal{D}\phi\right)^\dagger\mathcal{D}\phi+\mu^2\phi^\dagger\phi-\lambda\let(\phi^\dagger\phi\right)^2\quad (1)[/tex]

Polar coordinates means [tex]\phi=\rho e^{i\theta},\phi^\dagger=\rho e^{-i\theta}[/tex], thus

[tex]\mathcal{D}_\mu \phi=\left(\partial_\mu-i e A_\mu\right)\rho e^{i\theta}=\partial_\mu(\rho e^{i\theta})-i e A_\mu (\rho e^{i\theta})=(\partial_\mu \rho)e^{i\theta}+\rho i e^{i \theta}\partial_\mu \theta-i e A_\mu \rho e^{i\theta}=\left(\partial_\mu \rho+i\rho (\partial_\mu \theta-e A_\mu \right)e^{i\theta}[/tex]

and

[tex]\left(\mathcal{D}_\mu \phi\right)^\dagger=}=\left(\partial_\mu \rho-i\rho (\partial_\mu \theta-e A_\mu \right)e^{-i\theta}[/tex]

Plug the above equations into (1) and you will arrive at equation (2) of Zee's book.

muchísimas gracias, Rainbow Child!

Very much appreciated, your answer and your effort writting the latex code.

Unfortunately harmless looking equations like these above and all the little tricks you need to know to manipulate them are never explained proper in almost all QFT texts. Stellar example in this regard certainly Peskin&Schroeder, but also Zee lacks here.

Edit:granted, it's only silly product rule above, but why not pointing that out to the reader? Giving such small hints here and there would so much ease the pain reading QFT books!

Last edited:
Bowles said:
Unfortunately harmless looking equations like these above and all the little tricks you need to know to manipulate them are never explained proper in almost all QFT texts. Stellar example in this regard certainly Peskin&Schroeder, but also Zee lacks here.

Well, Zee is trying to cover a very large area with a broadbrush (as he explains very
clearly near the start of the book).

But what examples did you have in mind from Peskin&Schroeder? (I learned a lot by
self-studying P&S. Sure, it was hard at times, but there were only maybe one or two cases
where I had to beg others for help. Prof Peskin's online errata list was of course essential.)

Cheers.

But what examples did you have in mind from Peskin&Schroeder? (I learned a lot by
self-studying P&S. Sure, it was hard at times, but there were only maybe one or two cases
where I had to beg others for help. Prof Peskin's online errata list was of course essential.)

I know opinions differ on P&S, or on just any QFT texts in general. For me, P&S did not work. As I said before, what bothers me most with QFT texts is that they do not provide careful enough explanations of the little tricks and techniques to get from equation X to equation Y. Given that QFT is a big mix of group theory, complex integrals, Dirac delta functions, tensors, pertubation techniques and physical intuition, it is hard for the beginner to rearrange those equations.

Just look at P&S first chapter, every true beginner is just lost here! It is just a listing of equations and sentences like 'after some calculating it can be seen'. But this calculating includes residue calculus, branch cuts, dirac deltas, operators, surface integrals etc.

Bowles said:
Just look at P&S first chapter, every true beginner is just lost here! It is just a listing of equations and sentences like 'after some calculating it can be seen'. But this calculating includes residue calculus, branch cuts, dirac deltas, operators, surface integrals etc.
Hmmm, ok, I see what you mean. Every textbook is difficult if one is not yet proficient
in its prerequisites.

Have you tried Greiner's series of theoretical physics texts? He makes a large effort
not to commit the kind of sins you mention.

You right, Greiner is great at that, have not checked him lately, though. Of course not so beautifully streamlined like P&S, or so original, compact and 'big picture' like Zee.

Also heard a https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071543821/?tag=pfamazon01-20 book is coming out. Sounds like a book for dummies, so I will take look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats sort of the point of taking a class in it, where the proffessor actually does it step by step. Yes you can selfstudy, but going through each and every equation takes a tremendous amount of time and effort. Its worth doing it once for one book (eg most people do it with P&S or say with Coleman's lecture notes), but after awhile the algebra becomes rather tedious when you know the main results and have the physical intution behind you.

For instance, I do not remember the details of many of the calculations I once did, just the main results and perhaps the general scheme of how you derive the answer (eg I have to use an ellpitic integral for this problem, or here I must use dimensional regularization).

I couldn't find Coleman's lecture notes. Can you help me with that?

He might refer to Coleman's known book: "Aspects of symmetry".

Masudr, look http://www2.physics.utoronto.ca/~luke/PHY2403/References.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Zee's QFT and why is it important?

Zee's QFT, or Zee's Quantum Field Theory, is a mathematical framework used to describe and understand the interactions between particles in the quantum world. It is important because it allows us to make predictions and calculations about subatomic particles and their behavior.

2. What is a gauge derivative and how is it calculated?

A gauge derivative is a mathematical operator used to describe the changes in a quantum field as it interacts with other particles. It is calculated by taking the partial derivative of the field with respect to time and space coordinates, while also taking into account the gauge transformation of the field.

3. How does Zee simplify the calculation of the gauge derivative on page 236?

Zee simplifies the calculation by using a specific gauge choice, known as the Lorentz gauge, which reduces the equations to only one term. This allows for a more straightforward calculation and easier understanding of the gauge derivative.

4. Are there any limitations or criticisms of Zee's approach to QFT?

Some criticisms of Zee's approach include the lack of consideration for certain physical phenomena, such as the Higgs boson, and the reliance on mathematical simplification rather than physical intuition. Additionally, some physicists argue that Zee's approach is not as rigorous as other QFT frameworks.

5. How can understanding Zee's QFT benefit a scientist?

Understanding Zee's QFT can benefit a scientist by providing a deeper understanding of the fundamental interactions and behavior of subatomic particles. This can aid in the development of new theories and models, as well as making more accurate predictions and calculations in fields such as particle physics and cosmology.