Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zeitgeist the movie, Real? or just Real crap?

1. Jul 3, 2008 #1
    Zeitgeist the movie, I watched a downloaded version of it. It can be seen online for those who haven't at this site,

Its an awesome movie and if its true, its a real eye opener, if its not... Man, I sure got fooled... XD

Now some people claim that its true, some claim that its a load of crap, some say some part is true some parts are not.

For those who have seen it, do any of you know if its really true or not?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2008 #2
    Saw a 1 min clip of it from your link, could you give an overview of what its about ?
  4. Jul 3, 2008 #3
    My school's newspaper is quoted on its wikipedia page haha
  5. Jul 3, 2008 #4

Gold Member

Per wiki:

Zeitgeist, the Movie is a 2007 documentary film, produced by Peter Joseph about the Jesus myth hypothesis, the attacks of 9/11, and the Federal Reserve Bank as well as a number of conspiracy theories related to those three main topics
  6. Jul 3, 2008 #5
    Damn, too bad if its crackpot. The one min I fast forwarded to was talking about mosses and the 10 commandments, and how they came from some text in egypt. The little bit I did see seemed interesting....:rolleyes: ......too bad.
  7. Jul 3, 2008 #6
    Mosses? "And so God gave the green lump of moss two stone plaques, upon which were the rules to conduct society by." Sorry, smartassing over.
  8. Jul 3, 2008 #7
    Quite entertaining. Is it copyrighted ?
  9. Jul 3, 2008 #8
    The movie is mostly crap, but not entirely. Their theories on Christianity are about as popular in Biblical studies departments as creationism is in science. In fact I remember spotting many major errors myself. The section on 9/11 conspiracies is just idiotic. I've delved into that issue in quite a bit of depth (I have a friend who's a 9/11 conspiracy fanatic), and there's no compelling evidence in favor of an act of terrorism being an inside job. Some of their banking conspiracy theories, however, do have a factual basis. Indeed I knew about this long before I heard it from Zeitgeist. It's true that the Federal Reserve is a quasi-public organization (you can even read about it on Wikipedia), and the history of the government's involvement with wealthy private citizens in establishing our modern currency is more or less correct. But it's quite a stretch to say that this is all part of a worldwide conspiracy to set up a one-world government and control us with microchips that will be implanted in our fingers. This is nothing more than Left Behind minus the antichrist part.
  10. Jul 4, 2008 #9
    Damn, humanino, what is with you and copyrights? You're making me laugh.
  11. Jul 4, 2008 #10
    It was released officially onto google. So it may be copyrighted, but it was released to google with permission.

EDIT: binzing, I believe that posting copyrighted material is against PF guidelines.
  12. Jul 4, 2008 #11
    He grows on you.
  13. Jul 4, 2008 #12
    All material is copy right to its creator/owner for something like lifetime plus 75 years(?) I think. It doesn't matter if the person has gone through the channels to make it legally official. The creator/owner can though release it to the public domain more or less by giving anyone permission to use the material (usually with conditions such as not for profit).

Anyway... I think that there is a thread here somewhere about the 'Jesus myth' and the man in Italy who tried to sue the church for fraud if anyone is interested.
  14. Jul 4, 2008 #13
    It is Nazi propoganda. Part of the pro german students at my school like the movie zeitgeist.
  15. Jul 4, 2008 #14
    Who me and my smart aleck ways, or Mosses?
  16. Jul 4, 2008 #15
    The movie is utter crap. Don't let it fool you with its spooky music.
  17. Jul 4, 2008 #16
    What kind of theories do they have about Christianity? That the figure of Jesus had already appeared before the canonical Jesus did? That many of the stories and myths of the Bible had come from other sources? Or was it Da Vinci Code type crap?
  18. Jul 4, 2008 #17
    The conspiracy part about 9/11 is nonsense. So is the part about the federal reserve. The part about Christianity is greatly exaggerated.
  19. Jul 4, 2008 #18
    I think they say something like this, Horus (an egyptian god) is sort of an interpetation of the sun, and that the figure Jesus is basically Horus. (in short (horus=sun)=jesus.)

Therefore it must be nazi? (or are you joking perhaps?)
  20. Jul 4, 2008 #19
    It's a slightly different version than what was portrayed in "The DaVinci Code," but it has similarities. Part of it, as has already been stated, is that Jesus is supposedly similar to many earlier pagan deities (this theory originated in the book "Pagan Christs" published in 1903, I believe by a man named Robertson). They go so far as to draw a parallel between the Jesus and another person from the Bible, Joseph the son of Jacob. Of course at this point they fail to understand that the Bible itself teaches that such a similarity exists, and is understood in the context of typology.

They also make some astrology-based claims (though they do not endorse astrology themselves). They draw some pretty CG pictures of the earth's precession, and show that in the year 2150 we will enter something called the "Age of Aquarius." They claim that ancient Biblical authors knew about these astrological ages, and that everytime the Bible quotes Jesus as talking about the "close of the age," he's referring to the coming of the Age of Aquarius. I've read a fair amount of ancient literature, and I've never seen anything that would even remotely support this claim.

Anyway, those are the two major claims they make about Christianity that I can remember.
  21. Jul 4, 2008 #20
    I hope you aren't seriously suggesting that Germans and Nazis are the same thing.

To the contrary, America probably has twice as many neo Nazis as Germany.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?