1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zener diode characteristics

1. Jun 20, 2010 #1
    what are the differences between Zener diode and pn junction diode characteristics CURVE?

the breakdown process is easier in terms of breakdown voltage for zener diode.
    as, it is highly doped.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2010 #2
    the only answer I suspect that zener diode breakdown voltage(value) should be shown (according to specification).
    but pn junction breakdown voltage will obviously be much higher.

hope for better answer.

4. Jun 21, 2010 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

One tip -- you can look at the bottom of the page below, and see Related Threads that have discussed Zener diodes recently here. Click through those threads -- I think you will see some answers to your questions. :smile:

5. Jun 23, 2010 #4
    sorry,
    I could not get anything there related to Zener diode.
    my fault.

6. Jun 23, 2010 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

No, no, not your fault. I thought that a thread that I remembered would be down in that list, but I see now that it does not have the word "Zener" in the thread title, so it would not show up in that list below. This is the thread I was thinking of:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=404789

It discusses Zener breakdown voltage versus doping levels, and there is a link provided to a pretty good information source about Zener diodes. Hope that helps.

7. Jun 24, 2010 #6
    thank you very much.
    I got a pretty good answer there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook