Zener Diodes Homework: Load Regulation

In summary, a designer needs a shunt regulator of 20V and has two options for zener diodes: 6.8V devices with a resistance of 10ohms and 5.1V devices with a resistance of 30ohms. Neglecting the regulator resistance, it is possible to use either 3 of the 6.8V diodes or 4 of the 5.1V diodes to achieve 20V. However, the load regulation for both options is different, with the 6.8V diodes having a load regulation of -30mV/mA and the 5.1V diodes having a load regulation of -120mV/mA. A
exis

Homework Statement

A designer requires a shunt regulator of approximately 20V. two kinds of zener diodes are available: 6.8V devices with r_z=10ohms and 5.1V devices with r_z=30ohms. For the two major choices possible, find the load regulation. In this calculation neglect the effect of the regulator resistance R.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first type of zener diode i figured that 3 of them would provide 20.4V with 30ohms resistance. For the 5.1 zeners, using 4 diodes to provide 20.V with 4*30=120ohm resistance would also do the trick. What I'm having trouble with is finding the load regulation which according to my solution manual should be -30mV/mA and -120mV/mA.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess I'd have to see a circuit schematic to see what is going on, and perhaps an explicit definition of load regulation as well. I do notice that the load regulation is simply -R for each Zener combination.

I would like to clarify that the load regulation is a measure of how well a voltage regulator maintains a constant output voltage as the load changes. It is typically expressed as a percentage change in output voltage per unit change in load current. In this case, it is not clear what the load current is, so it is difficult to accurately calculate the load regulation for these zener diodes.

However, I can provide some general information about load regulation for zener diodes. Zener diodes have a characteristic curve that shows the relationship between the zener voltage and the zener current. This curve is typically very steep near the desired zener voltage, and becomes much flatter at higher currents. This means that a small change in current can result in a large change in voltage near the desired zener voltage, but a larger change in current is needed to produce the same change in voltage at higher currents.

In this case, the load regulation would depend on the specific load current and the characteristics of the zener diodes being used. It is possible that the 6.8V zener diodes with a lower resistance would have a better load regulation than the 5.1V zener diodes with a higher resistance, but it would also depend on the specific values of the load current and the regulator resistance.

In order to accurately calculate the load regulation, more information would be needed, such as the specific values of the load current and the regulator resistance, as well as the characteristics of the zener diodes being used. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately determine the load regulation for these zener diodes.

What is a Zener diode?

A Zener diode is a type of semiconductor diode that is designed to have a specific breakdown voltage, known as the Zener voltage. This allows the diode to conduct current in the reverse direction once the Zener voltage is reached, making it useful for voltage regulation and protection in electronic circuits.

What is load regulation in relation to Zener diodes?

Load regulation refers to the ability of a Zener diode to maintain a constant output voltage despite changes in the load resistance. This is an important characteristic for voltage regulation, as it ensures that the output voltage remains stable even when the load changes.

How does a Zener diode regulate voltage?

A Zener diode regulates voltage by utilizing its breakdown voltage to maintain a constant voltage across the load. When the current through the diode exceeds the Zener current, the diode enters the breakdown region and the Zener voltage is applied across the load, keeping the output voltage constant.

What factors affect the load regulation of a Zener diode?

The load regulation of a Zener diode can be affected by several factors, including the Zener voltage, the Zener current, and the temperature. Changes in any of these factors can impact the ability of the Zener diode to maintain a constant output voltage.

How is load regulation calculated for a Zener diode?

Load regulation is typically calculated using the formula: % Load Regulation = (Vmax - Vmin) / (Vmax - Vref) x 100%, where Vmax is the maximum output voltage, Vmin is the minimum output voltage, and Vref is the reference voltage. This formula gives the percentage change in output voltage for a given change in load resistance.