Zenner Diode Clipper: AC Voltage Spikes to 22V?

• Thread starter Daniel Floyd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary: This person is trying to use a piezo electric voltage source to generate a clamping voltage of 22V. They are trying to use a back-to-back or nose-to-nose configuration of zeners, and are concerned about the source impedance. If the current is small, a small 400mW rated diode should work.
Daniel Floyd
HI.

I am using Piezo Electric as a AC voltage source which gives voltage spikes of around 35V little current because the impedance of the material is verry high, I would like to clip this voltage to 22 Volts i have seen that a 2 x 22V zenner diodes can be used back to back is thie right or will i need a different value zenner for the negative?

also can anybody tell me what rating of diodes i will need?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Daniel Floyd said:
HI.

I am using Piezo Electric as a AC voltage source which gives voltage spikes of around 35V little current because the impedance of the material is verry high, I would like to clip this voltage to 22 Volts i have seen that a 2 x 22V zenner diodes can be used back to back is thie right or will i need a different value zenner for the negative?

also can anybody tell me what rating of diodes i will need?

Yes, back-to-back or nose-to-nose Zener diodes make an effective bidirectional clamp. Since the source impedance of your source (the piezo) is high, you probably do not need any series resistance.

If you want the clamp voltage to be 22V, you can use either two 20V zeners or two 22V zeners. The forward diode voltage drop adds to the total clamp voltage, obviously. :smile:

EDIT -- OH, whoops. You edited your post since the last time I read it. Now instead of resistance, you are asking for what rating of diode to use. Since your currents are small, I would think that a small 400mW rated diode would work.

Last edited:
Thank you I have ordered some 22v zenner diodes in which I will use tomorrow.

I tried to use this before but this didn't work I assume its because I used a series resistance thus making my over all impedance very high which pretty much stopped my circuit from working. I will simple try using this back to back with no series resistance and see what result I get. Thank you

Check your zeners when you get them - some zeners use an internal second junction in series for better temperature performance . If you find that yours won't conduct when forward biased to their reverse breakdown voltage, you can use them in parallel rather than in series.

old jim

I would suggest using a 22V zener diode in parallel with a resistor to create a voltage divider circuit. This will effectively clip the voltage spikes to 22V without the need for two diodes. The resistor value can be calculated using Ohm's law, taking into account the maximum current that the circuit can handle. As for the rating of the diode, it should be able to handle the maximum voltage and current of the circuit. It is always best to choose a diode with a higher rating than what is needed to ensure reliability and safety. Additionally, for the negative voltage spikes, a similar circuit can be created using a negative voltage zener diode. It is important to ensure that the diodes are properly connected in the circuit and that their ratings are suitable for the application.

1. What is a Zenner diode clipper?

A Zenner diode clipper is a type of electronic circuit that uses a Zenner diode to limit the voltage of an alternating current (AC) signal. It is commonly used to protect electronic devices from high voltage spikes.

2. How does a Zenner diode clipper work?

A Zenner diode clipper works by using the reverse breakdown voltage of a Zenner diode to limit the voltage of an AC signal. When the voltage of the AC signal exceeds the breakdown voltage of the Zenner diode, it conducts and limits the voltage to the breakdown voltage level.

3. What is the maximum voltage that a Zenner diode clipper can handle?

The maximum voltage that a Zenner diode clipper can handle depends on the breakdown voltage of the Zenner diode used in the circuit. For example, if a Zenner diode with a breakdown voltage of 22V is used, the clipper can handle AC voltage spikes up to 22V.

4. What are the advantages of using a Zenner diode clipper?

One advantage of using a Zenner diode clipper is that it provides a simple and low-cost solution for protecting electronic devices from voltage spikes. It also has a fast response time, meaning it can quickly limit the voltage and protect the device from damage.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Zenner diode clipper?

One limitation of using a Zenner diode clipper is that it can only handle voltage spikes up to a certain level, determined by the breakdown voltage of the Zenner diode. It also cannot protect against continuous overvoltage, as it is designed to only handle short spikes.