Zero adjust resistance help please?

In summary, the conversation discusses an ohmmeter circuit and two questions about the effect of R2 when it is lower or higher than Rm. The user is studying computer engineering and is looking for help with the instrument and measurements. They also mention a sketchy connection in the figure and ask for a hint to solve the problem.
Mustafa111
Member warned about using template for posts in the Homework Sections of PF.
hello there i kinda need help with this, image attached in the thread
this is the ohmmmeter circuit and i have two questions :
-what is the effect of R2 when it become lower than Rm?
-what is the effect of R2 when it become higher than Rm?

Rm=internal resistance of ohm-meter
R2=zero adjust resistance

edit:i study computer engineering techniques and this is the instrument and measurements
so hopefully this is the right place to post

Attachments

• aaaaa.jpg
    aaaaa.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your figure the bottom end of R2 is connected to the node where E and Rm connect, but the "wire" looks more sketchy than the other wires of the drawing. Is that connection intentional?

You need to make an attempt at a solution before we can offer any detailed help. Here's a hint though: You've identified R2 as a zero adjust resistance. What's the standard procedure for zero-adjusting an ohmmeter? Think about comparing the magnitudes of the currents passing through the meter Rm and R2.

1. What is zero adjust resistance?

Zero adjust resistance is a type of electrical resistance that is used to calibrate or adjust the zero point on a measuring device, such as a voltmeter or ammeter. It allows for more accurate readings by compensating for any small variations in the instrument's internal circuitry.

2. How do I determine the correct zero adjust resistance?

The correct zero adjust resistance will depend on the specific measuring device you are using and its internal circuitry. It is typically provided in the manufacturer's instructions or can be calculated using the device's specifications. You can also consult with a technician or engineer for assistance.

3. Where is the zero adjust resistance located?

The location of the zero adjust resistance will vary depending on the device. In most cases, it will be located on the front panel of the instrument and can be adjusted using a screwdriver. However, some devices may have it located on the back or inside the instrument.

4. Do I need to adjust the zero adjust resistance regularly?

The need for regular adjustment of the zero adjust resistance will depend on the specific device and its usage. In general, it is recommended to check and adjust it periodically to ensure accurate readings. Frequent use or changes in environmental conditions may require more frequent adjustments.

5. Can I adjust the zero adjust resistance myself?

Adjusting the zero adjust resistance requires some technical knowledge and skill. If you are not familiar with electrical circuits or do not feel confident in making adjustments, it is best to seek the help of a trained technician or engineer. Improper adjustments can result in inaccurate readings or damage to the device.