Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Zero eigenvector?

1. Sep 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I can calculate the proper eigenvalues, but when I plug them back into the matrix, I get x1=0 and x2=0. But this is not the answer Maple gives me! How do I solve for the eigenvector when it appears that a zero vector is the only solution?

2. Relevant equations

For example, for the matrix {1,1},{1,-1} (rows shown), Maple gives me: eigenvalue of sqrt(2) with eigenvector {1/((sqrt(2)-1),1} and eigenvalue of -sqrt(2) with eigenvector {1/(-(sqrt(2)-1),1}

3. The attempt at a solution

But I can't get these eigenvectors when I try to solve by hand! How do you solve in these situations?
    What are these situations called?

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2
    For sqrt(2), You end up with the eigenvector equation:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 1 \\ 1 & -1 \end{array}\right)\binom{x}{y}=\sqrt{2}\binom{x}{y}[/tex]

or:

[tex](1-\sqrt{2}) x+y=0[/tex]

[tex]x-y(1+\sqrt{2})=0[/tex]

which are redundant so any vector (x,y) that satisfies either equation is a suitable eigenvector like:

[tex]\binom{1+\sqrt{2}}{1}[/tex]

and even:

[tex]\binom{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}-1}}{1}[/tex]

4. Sep 13, 2010 #3
    Thanks! Oh duh! I didn't realize that the 2 equations were the same. That's why I was getting x=0 and y=0 as solutions. I had to multiply through by the appropriate constant to make the 2 equations look the same.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook