Zero electric field strength

In summary, the question asks at which point the electric field strength can be zero between two isolated point charges -7μC and +2μC at a fixed distance apart. The answer is point D, where the pushing strength of 2μC balances the pulling strength of -7μC at a specific distance between the two charges.
calculator20
Two isolated point charges -7μC and +2μC are at a fixed distance apart. At which point is is it possible for the electric field strength to be zero?

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1391411189.234661.jpg

I don't know where to start with only 2 numbers and no distances. I know that E= kQ/r^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Well ... if the two charges were equal, same charge, which point has zero field?
"Half way between them." right? You don't need distances to answer the question.

It kinda looks like they want you to pick point A or point D. That makes it easier.
One point is to the left and the there to the right - only one could plausibly have a zero field.
You get to do it either by understanding the physics or by doing the algebra with the distance being D.

Thanks for your help but I still don't understand. The answer is D but I can't see how you would know that with no numbers apart from the charges. I've tried calculating E using sample distances and get no where near zero. I want to understand the physics and the algebra but neither are making sense as yet.

calculator20 said:
. The answer is D but I can't see how you would know that with no numbers apart from the charges. I've tried calculating E using sample distances and get no where near zero. I want to understand the physics and the algebra but neither are making sense as yet.

Here's the idea:

Think about the negative charges as ''pullers'' and positive as ''pushers'' (owing to their electric field lines). Now, since -7μC has a greater magnitude, its pulling strength (or electric field strength) is higher than the pushing strength of 2μC, right?

So, to check the zero field intensity, position a charge in the points A and D and try to find out the position such that the pushing strength of 2μC just overcomes/balances the pulling strength of -7μC keeping in mind that the farther you go, lesser your field strength becomes.

Thank you, that's a really helpful way to picture it. I can see how it would be solved as a multiple choice question without calculations now. Thanks.

calculator20 said:
Two isolated point charges -7μC and +2μC are at a fixed distance apart. At which point is is it possible for the electric field strength to be zero?

View attachment 66245

I don't know where to start with only 2 numbers and no distances. I know that E= kQ/r^2
You can establish precisely where the field strength will be zero by expressing it in terms of the distance d between the charges (i.e., scaling to the distance between the charges).

1. What is zero electric field strength?

Zero electric field strength, also known as null field, refers to a state where there is no net electric field at a given point in space. This means that the electric field vectors cancel each other out, resulting in a zero overall electric field.

2. How is zero electric field strength measured?

Zero electric field strength is typically measured using an electric field meter. The meter will read a zero value when the electric field is null, indicating that there is no net electric field present at that point.

3. What causes zero electric field strength?

Zero electric field strength can occur when two equal and opposite electric fields cancel each other out, or when a charged particle is in a region with no other charged particles or electric fields present.

4. Is zero electric field strength the same as no electric field?

No, zero electric field strength and no electric field are not the same. Zero electric field strength refers to the state where the net electric field is zero at a given point, while no electric field means that there is no electric field present at all.

5. Can zero electric field strength exist in nature?

Yes, zero electric field strength can exist in nature. Examples include the center of a charged sphere or the center of a cylindrical conductor with a uniform electric field. In these cases, the electric field is null at the center due to symmetry.