Which members in the truss are zero force?

In summary, the conversation discusses the identification of zero-force members in a structure. It is noted that there is no rule for identifying zero-force members when there are 4 members connected to a joint. Joints E and K are confirmed to be loaded due to reaction forces. It is suggested that equilibrium calculations may not be helpful in identifying zero-force members in this case.
DiamondV

Homework Statement

Okay, I need help quick, exam in few hours, I won't be able to reply to this later.

http://puu.sh/lQeXl/42907b0a12.jpg

In my lectures notes this is given. In the example shown with it, the one on the right in particular. Look at Joint C, it is unloaded, it also has to members connected to CG and CH both of which are non-collinear, but neither is zero force? I know technically there are 4 members connected to Joint C but I have no rule for 4 members so I just thought maybe we just ignore the other two(sounds weird) No other info about zero force members was given.

Also one more thing, Joints E and K, they are loaded due to the reaction forces correct?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
DiamondV said:
no rule for 4 members
That simply means you can not identify a zero-force member there.
DiamondV said:
Joints E and K, they are loaded due to the reaction forces correct?
Correct

Good luck with your test ! :smile:

--

BvU said:
That simply means you can not identify a zero-force member there.
Correct

Good luck with your test ! :smile:

--
So I would have to do out the equilibrium calculations to find if there are any zero force members connected to a joint with 4 members.

Don't think that will help: then you still have 4 members (and a force). But I'm not an expert, so not sure.

1. What is a zero force member in a truss?

A zero force member in a truss is a structural element that experiences no internal forces when the truss is loaded. This means that the member does not contribute to the overall stability or strength of the truss.

2. How can you identify a zero force member in a truss?

A zero force member can be identified by examining the geometry and loading conditions of the truss. A zero force member will typically be a straight, two-force member that is connected to two other members at its endpoints and is not part of any load path.

3. Why are zero force members important in truss design?

Zero force members are important in truss design because they allow for more efficient use of materials. By identifying and removing these members, the overall weight and cost of the truss can be reduced without compromising its structural integrity.

4. Can a zero force member become a non-zero force member?

Yes, a zero force member can become a non-zero force member if the loading conditions or geometry of the truss change. For example, if an external load is applied to one of the joints connected to the zero force member, it will no longer be a zero force member.

5. Are zero force members always present in trusses?

No, zero force members are not always present in trusses. They are more commonly found in statically determinate trusses, where the number of unknown forces can be determined using equations of equilibrium. In statically indeterminate trusses, the presence of zero force members is less common and may require more complex analysis methods to identify.