1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zero gaussian curvature implies developability proof

1. May 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey guys, I have a small question on a proof in Struik's Differential Geometry book. It concerns the proof that all surfaces with K = 0 (gaussian curvature zero) are developable, i.e. all surfaces with K = 0 are ruled and the tangent planes along the rulings are parallel.

2. Relevant equations

Suppose there is a surface with surfaace coordinates {u,v} and K = 0 everywhere. Since K = 0 the coefficients of the first fundamental tensor I must be I_uu = I_vv = 1, I_uv = I_vu = 0. The basis vectors g are thus orthonormal everywhere on the surface. The normal vector to the surface is given by N = gu × gv

3. The attempt at a solution

I've already derived the part which proves that:
    K = 0 --> N . (N_u × N_v) = 0 (N_u means dN/du)
    For this to be true, either N_u or N_v must be zero, or N . N_u and N . N_v must be zero. If the latter is true, the length || N_u × N_v || must be zero, which means that there exists another coordinate system for which N_u or N_v is zero. However, how do I prove that if N_u or N_v are zero vectors, that this implies that the curvature in that direction is zero along a straight line? The orthonormality of the basis vectors might support the claim, however I don't think this proves the matter...

Many thanks!

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?