Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zero gravity

1. Feb 11, 2009 #1

kky

Suppose I prepare a liquid whose density is equal to the average density of my body.
    Hence when I am completely immersed in it the upthrust provided will be equal to my weight. Will what I experience in such a liquid be similar to what I'll experience in zero gravity?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2009 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Not really. I'm no expert, but your various organs would still impede upon your body as normally. In micro-gravity (there's no such thing as zero-g), the organs would be free-floating within your body. You would still feel, for instance, your intestines and liver pressing against your back in an SD tank, but not in free-fall. Circulation and respiration would similarly behave differently in the two environments.

4. Feb 12, 2009 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

kky, what you describe is indeed used to simulate ug conditions for astronaut training- NASA has a few giant swimming pools (neutral bouyancy tanks):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_Buoyancy_Laboratory

As Danger points out, this is not exactly the same as ug conditions. Another trade-off is that the astronauts have to move through a viscous fluid which is not normally present. However, neutral bouyancy tanks are useful for training situations that require periods of time longer than the 20 seconds achieved on the 'vomit comet'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook