1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zero induced EMF

1. Dec 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Question I need help with: If wire AB of problem 9 moves with a velocity of 50.0 m/s to the right, at what rate should B change when the wire is at a distance of 5.00 cm from the left end of the loop, such that there will be no induced emf in the circuit? Answer: 300 T/s

Problem 9: (I don't know if this information is needed to solve the question above so I'm listing it here anyway)
    The wire AB in the diagram moves to the right with a velocity of 25.0 cm/s. If l = 20.0 cm, B = 0.300 T, and the total resistance of the circuit is 50.0 Ω, find (a) the induced emf in wire AB, (b) the current flowing in the circuit, and (c) the direction of the current.

Diagram is attatched

2. Relevant equations
    emf=Blv
    emf=change in flux/ change in time

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't understand this question. I have been trying for a very long time and I am very lost. If there is a velocity, electric field, and length, how could there ever be zero induced EMF? I was able to get question 9 as emf=Blv, very straight forward and I understand how the equation is derived. I'm clearly missing something here but I cannot figure out what.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2015 #2
    Any help would be appreciated. I cannot find any information online or in the textbook to help me come up with any sort of solution. Thank you in advance!

4. Dec 16, 2015 #3

cnh1995

Homework Helper

These two emfs will be opposing each other such that resultant emf will be 0.
    Write mathematical equations for each and simply equate them.
    This asks you about 'rate of change' of magnetic field. Ring any bells?
    Right.

5. Dec 16, 2015 #4

cnh1995

Homework Helper

This is needed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted