1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zero level help

1. Dec 10, 2004 #1
    The problem is:
    A block of mass m slides at a speed v along a horizontal, smooth table. It next slides down a smooth ramp, descending a height h , and then slides along a horizontal rough floor, stopping eventually.
    If the zero level is a distance (2h/3) above the floor, what is the potential energy U of the block on the floor?

I'm confused about the zero level.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

To specify the potential energy, you need a reference point--a place where U = zero. For example, if the ground were the zero point, then the gravitational PE of an object at a height h would be U = mgh; but if 2h/3 were the reference point, U = mgh/3.

4. Feb 10, 2012 #3
    Old thread but I happen to have the exact same homework question. I hate MasteringPhysics.com.

Anyway, I understand U = mgh
    But I really don't get what 2h/3 is trying to tell me.

"If the zero level is a distance above the floor, what is the potential energy of the block on the floor?" & "Suppose the potential energy of the block at the table is given by . This implies that the chosen zero level of potential energy is __________."

I have no idea what this is asking me.

5. Feb 11, 2012 #4

Doc Al

With U = mgh, where do you measure h from?

You measure it from the zero level, which is completely arbitrary. For example, if a mass is on the floor, and I choose the floor as the zero level, then h = 0 and U = 0. But what if the zero level were chosen to be 10 meters below the floor (in the basement, perhaps)? Then h = 10m.

Another way to write the potential energy formula is: U = mgy, where y is the vertical position measured from the zero level, which is where y = 0.

The point is: You can put the zero level anywhere.

6. Mar 4, 2012 #5
    I too am confused on this which is how I actually came across this forum.

Anyway, if the U=mgh/3 on the table and zero point is 2h/3 then wouldnt that mean that the zero point is above the table since 2/3 is bigger than 1/3. This lead me to believe that the floor would in turn be 3h/3 (or just h) but when I put the answer of mgh in it was wrong. Any insight would be appreciated.

7. Mar 4, 2012 #6

Doc Al

No. That would be a contradiction, since you just said that the zero point is at 2h/3.

The point is to choose the zero point (in this case it's given to you), and measure the displacement from that point. If the table top is h/3 above the zero point, where is the floor measured from that same zero point?

8. Mar 4, 2012 #7
    Ok now I get what it is saying. Thank you for clearing it up!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?