1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zero Magnetic Force

1. Apr 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A proton with an initial velocity of magnitude v in the +x direction enters a uniform magnetic field. For which direction or directions of the magnetic field, if any, will there be zero magnetic force on the proton?
    + x
    - x
    + y
    - y
    + z
    - z

2. Relevant equations
    There were no equations i could think of that will help we with this problem, other than the open palm thing that my professor talked about in class today.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I dont really understand the question. on the graph (+) x is in the third quadrant and thats the velocity. I tried -x by itself, i tried -x, +y, and +z. And +y, +z. All three were incorrect. I dont think i understand what it means to have zero magnetic force on a proton.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Force on the charged particle is given by F = qvBsin(theta) where theta is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.
    Now you can decide when the force is zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook