Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zero-point Energy Field Manipulation

1. Oct 19, 2008 #1
    First of all, I'm just registered and am glad to be here. To be honest, I never thought of looking for a forum for physics but when I did I search for the current state of teleportation research (which I found here!) I decided to register. ^_^\/

One of my major interests in the field of Quantum Physics is Zero-point energy.

One day after reading about the Casimir force, and remembering that handy little tool from Half Life 2 that everyone admires so much that everyone admires so much, I thought of a way to get that sort of touchless object manipulation effect.

In the Casimir experiments, two uncharged metal plates in a vacuum at near-zero-kelvin temperatures generated a measureable net force and they were pushed together. This is because the small space between the plates was shielded from some of the radiation pressure, causing an imbalance between the inside and outside of the plates. Thus, the plates were pushed together.

I thought that if a device could cause an imbalance between itself and an object, the object would be pushed towards and held the device. Just like the ZPE Field Manipulator in the Half Life 2 game can do.

What are your thoughts?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted