Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zero-Point Energy Manipulation

1. May 26, 2005 #1
    This might be a stupid question, but i've been reading a lot about zero-point energy and I still dont fully understand what it is. I've always had a dream of coming up with plans for a gravity manipulator that could reduce an objects mass to absolute zero creating a black hole, but sustaining it and harvesting energy.

A little help please?

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2005 #2
    Why would reducing an objects mass to zero create a black hole?? I believe you have some fundamental concepts confused.

4. May 26, 2005 #3
    I think he's referring to the toy in Half-Life 2. The "physics" they discuss in the game is just lots of pretty words that barely make sense. So I wouldn't bet on a gravity gun coming out anytime soon.

5. May 30, 2005 #4
    You have to admit though, that's a pretty cool gun. :)

PL

6. Oct 20, 2008 #5
    Actually, if you could manipulate the quantum dynamic fluctuations between an object and the device that would clear the radiation pressure and do so to high enough levels, then, depending on the size of the object the inbalance would cause it to be attracted to the device. The Casimir experiments prove this effect, but simply because the uncharged metal plates they placed were very close together. If you needed to manipulate larger objects obviously from a further distance you need a bigger force. I don't know how you would go about accomplishing it, but if you could cause this inbalance then it would work, theoretically anyways.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?