Why Is the Electric Quadrupole Moment Zero in a Spherically Symmetric Potential?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of electric quadrupole moment and its relationship to central and spherically symmetric potential. It was mentioned that the electric quadrupole moment is zero in this scenario, but there is a possibility for it to exist in the wave function with orbital angular momentum. The topic was also further explored through a provided source and a discussion on personal information on public forums.
GAGS
While studying nuclear forces one question was raised that why electric quadrupole moment is zero while the potential is considerd central and spherically symmetric.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello sir,my email id i have added in my profile and believe me i am very glad to provide my mail id to such a great personality with different recognition on physics forum

We have as rule here not to provide personal mails on the public forum or our profiles.

Sorry sir i don't know that,but i will not repeat such mistake in future.
Once again extremely sorry

its just for your own saftey, these forums can bee seen by anyone - you don't need to be member to read posts here.

GAGS said:
While studying nuclear forces one question was raised that why electric quadrupole moment is zero while the potential is considerd central and spherically symmetric.
Thanks
If the potential is central, it must be spherically symmetric.
The wave function (but not the ground state) can have orbital angular momentum L=2, in which case there can be a quadrupole moment.

What is a zero quadrupole moment?

A zero quadrupole moment refers to the absence of any net electric quadrupole moment in a system. This means that the distribution of electric charge within the system is symmetric and does not produce any dipole or quadrupole moment.

Why is zero quadrupole moment important in physics?

Zero quadrupole moment is important in physics because it can provide insights into the symmetry and properties of a system. It is also a necessary condition for certain physical phenomena, such as the conservation of angular momentum.

What types of systems can have a zero quadrupole moment?

Any system that has a symmetric distribution of electric charge can have a zero quadrupole moment. This includes spherical, cylindrical, and planar distributions of charge.

How is zero quadrupole moment related to the electric field?

A system with a zero quadrupole moment will not produce any electric field at large distances. This is because the electric field is directly proportional to the quadrupole moment of a system. Therefore, a system with a zero quadrupole moment will have a more uniform and isotropic electric field.

Can a system with a zero quadrupole moment have non-zero dipole moment?

Yes, it is possible for a system to have a zero quadrupole moment but a non-zero dipole moment. This can occur when the positive and negative charges within the system are not perfectly aligned, resulting in a net dipole moment but a cancellation of the quadrupole moment.