Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zeroes of analytic functions

1. Aug 29, 2009 #1
    Suppose I have an analytic function, [itex]f[/itex], with radius of convergence [itex]1[/itex]. From http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/ZerosOfAnalyticFunctionsAreIsolated.html" [Broken] it follows that any [itex]0[/itex] of [itex]f[/itex] in [itex] \{ z : |z| < 1 \}[/itex] is isolated. But is it possible that the zeroes have a limit point on the boundary of convergence? For example, is possible that an analytic function with radius of convergence 1 has zeros exactly at [itex]1-\frac{1}{n}[/itex] for all [itex]n \in Z^{+}[/itex]?
    [Edit: Added question marks.]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2009 #2
    Take a look at the Mittag-Leffler Theorem which may be over kill. I do not really understand these issues and would be willing to go through the proofs with you.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Aug 29, 2009 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(It's hard to read that without question marks)

Can you write down an analytic function with infinitely many zeroes?

Can you apply a change of variable to move those zeroes to the unit circle?

5. Aug 29, 2009 #4
    Let me try, [tex]\frac{1}{\Gamma(z)}[/tex] is entire and has zeroes at [itex] -1,-2, \dots [/itex], so [tex]\frac{1}{\Gamma(\frac{-1}{1-z})}[/tex] would have 0's at [itex]1-\frac{1}{n}[/itex] and since the pole closest to 0 is at 1, the radius of convergence is 1.

Does that look right?

[Added later]
    [itex]f(\frac{1}{1-z})[/itex] where [itex]f[/itex] is an entire function with zeroes exactly at the positive integers will do in general.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook