Are Zero's and Roots the Same Thing?

• Thread starter viet_jon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, zeros and roots refer to the same thing when talking about polynomials, but when it comes to functions, zeros specifically refer to solutions to the equation f(x)=0 while roots can refer to solutions to any equation. It is important to use precise terminology in mathematics to avoid confusion.
viet_jon
zero's and roots...

Zero's are the same thing as roots, correct?

I have a question where a) askes what's the zero's. Then b) asks what are the roots.

pretty sure it's the same.

Physics news on Phys.org
i think when reffering to polynomials zeros and roots refere to the same thing, however when referring to functions i think that we cannot reffer to it as the roots of a function, but only we should referr as the zeros of a function.
I am not quite sure though!

Last edited:
viet_jon said:
Zero's are the same thing as roots, correct?

I have a question where a) askes what's the zero's. Then b) asks what are the roots.

pretty sure it's the same.

you're right they are the same:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_(mathematics)

No, they are not the same. Not if you are being very "correct".

A root of an equation is any solution to that equation.

A zero of a function, f(x), is any solution to the equation, f(x)= 0.

I see that Wikipedia says the opposite, saying that a "root of a function" is the same as a "zero of a function" but I think that is very sloppy terminology. Unfortunately even mathematicians get sloppy sometimes.

HallsofIvy said:
No, they are not the same. Not if you are being very "correct".

A root of an equation is any solution to that equation.

A zero of a function, f(x), is any solution to the equation, f(x)= 0.

I see that Wikipedia says the opposite, saying that a "root of a function" is the same as a "zero of a function" but I think that is very sloppy terminology. Unfortunately even mathematicians get sloppy sometimes.

i mean what you are saing i think you are right...

marco

1. What is the difference between a zero and a root?

A zero is a value of a variable that makes an equation or function equal to zero. A root is a value of a variable that makes an equation or function equal to a specific value other than zero.

2. Can a zero or root be negative?

Yes, both zeros and roots can be negative. However, in some cases, a negative zero may be considered equivalent to a positive zero.

3. How are zeros and roots related to each other?

Zeros and roots are related in that they both represent values of a variable that satisfy an equation or function. However, they differ in the specific value that the equation or function is equal to.

4. Can an equation have more than one zero or root?

Yes, an equation or function can have multiple zeros or roots. For example, a quadratic equation can have two distinct zeros or roots.

5. Are zeros and roots always real numbers?

No, zeros and roots can also be complex numbers. In this case, the equation or function would have complex solutions or roots.