1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zeros at the end

1. Jun 23, 2012 #1
    We want to know how many zeros appear at the end of the number 'N' = 1962!
    In the solution of it,
    We break the number N in a prime numbers notation and which looks like N = 2^a1 x 3^a2 x 5^a3.....p^a(n), so as the question the asks about the zeros in the the product we are concerned about the numbers a1 and a3, as for now because they yield a zero and also about those factors of N which will yield them too.To determine a3, we take that every factor of N divisible by 5 will yield one 5 and so the number of such factors will be 1962/5(and that is my question?) .
    What exactly will the 1962/5 provide us with?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You also need to consider some of those numbers are divisible by 25, 125...

4. Jun 23, 2012 #3
    Hi kartik
    1962! is 1*2*3*...*1962
    so just look at this sequence of numbers:
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ...9, 10, ..., 14, 15, ...1960, 1961, 1962
    As you can see, you have a '5'... every 5 steps :)
    So 1962/5 is how many times you will get a factor 5 and this is a3

Cheers...

5. Jun 23, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, a3 will be more than that. See my previous post.

6. Jun 23, 2012 #5
    Yes you are correct haruspex, your post wasn't there while I was posting mine
    Indeed, the higher powers of 5 must be considered too, fortunately there are not too many of them and they can be added in by hand

7. Jun 23, 2012 #6
    What haruspex said in general can be formed up as a sum. Say for n!

[tex]Q = \left [\frac{n}{5} \right ] + \left [ \frac{n}{5^2} \right ] + \left [ \frac{n}{5^3} \right ] + ...... \left [ \frac{n}{5^t} \right ][/tex]

Q is the number of times the factorial can be divided by 5, and hence 10.

The sum ends(or each term becomes 0) when 5t exceeds n.

This in fact, is a particular case to obtain the number of prime divisors of any positive integer factorial.

8. Jun 24, 2012 #7
    " we are concerned about the numbers a1 and a3, as for now because they yield a zero and also about those factors of N which will yield them too"

I did write about the factors which will also yield a 'n' number of 5s and 2s.

Infinitum and oli4 are quite convincing, thank you.

9. Jun 24, 2012 #8
    i asked this question once on Yahoo! Answers

i asked how many trailing zeroes does the factorial of 1 million have?. I did manage to calculate the # of zeroes in Mathematica, but i wanted to know the theory behind it.

A man answered that you can use "Sterling's asymptotic formula" which is used to approximate factorials at very large values. He managed to find the EXACT number of trailing zeroes i found using Mathematica. i was truly amazed by this :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymptotic_formula

10. Jun 24, 2012 #9
    Even for numbers up to 1 million, the sum [itex]\sum\limits_{k=1}^{+\infty} \left\lfloor\dfrac{n}{5^k}\right\rfloor[/itex] only contains 8 terms, namely 200 000, 40 000, 8 000, 1 600, 320, 64, 12, 2, which makes a total of 249 998 trailing zeroes.

11. Jun 24, 2012 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

For powers of 10 it's really easy. You can sum the series to get (10n-2n)/4. I think whoever claimed to use Sterling's formula was kidding.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook