Are Weight 12 Modular Forms the Only Ones Without Zeros on the Upper Half Plane?

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forms
Forum.htmlIn summary, the conversation is about finding modular forms with weight k that do not have zeros on the upper half plane. The speaker knows that a modular form with weight k is made up of an Eisenstein series and a cusp form, and that for k<12, they have zeros on the upper half plane. They suggest looking at modular forms with weight 12m, where m is a positive integer. The speaker also mentions an equation for k=12m and asks if that is enough to find the desired forms. Another person suggests seeking help on Math Stack Exchange or the SOSCybermathboard.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I am asked to find all the modular forms with weight k which don't have zeros on the upper half plane.

I know that a modular form with weight k is composed of an Eisenstein series with index k and a cusp form with weight k, and I have at my disposal the zeros formula for modular forms.

So I know that for k<12 (and k is obviously even cause Eisenstein series vanish for odd indices), they have zeros on the upper half plane, so I should be looking at modular form with weight 12m where m is positive integer.

Now if I have this equation for k=12m:
[tex]ord_{\infty} f + \sum_{p\neq i ,exp(2\pi i/3); p \in H/SL_2(Z)} ord_p f=m[/tex]
where H is the upper half plane, so the only f which it zero isn't in H is for [tex]ord_{\infty} f =m[/tex].

Is that enough?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any tips?

Anyone?

I looked at this, but don't have any useful information. You might get a better response at Math Stack Exchange.

1. What are weight 12 modular forms?

Weight 12 modular forms are a type of mathematical function that satisfy certain transformation properties under the action of a modular group. They have applications in number theory, algebraic geometry, and other areas of mathematics.

2. What does it mean for a modular form to have zeros on the upper half plane?

A modular form having zeros on the upper half plane means that it vanishes at certain points in the complex plane. These points correspond to the cusps of the modular group, which are points at infinity where the transformation properties of the modular form may break down.

3. Are weight 12 modular forms the only ones without zeros on the upper half plane?

No, there are other weights of modular forms that do not have zeros on the upper half plane. However, weight 12 modular forms are the only ones that have no zeros at all in the upper half plane, which is a stronger condition.

4. What is the significance of weight 12 for modular forms?

Weight 12 is a special weight for modular forms because it is the lowest weight for which there exist non-zero modular forms without zeros on the upper half plane. This weight is also related to the Ramanujan conjecture, which states that all modular forms of weight 12 have no zeros on the upper half plane.

5. What are the implications of weight 12 modular forms being the only ones without zeros on the upper half plane?

This result has important implications in number theory and algebraic geometry. It has been used to prove the Ramanujan conjecture and to study the distribution of zeros of modular forms. It also has connections to other areas of mathematics, such as the Langlands program and the theory of automorphic forms.