What Defines the Zeros in Sinh() Function?

• Thread starter phioder
  • Start date
In summary, the sinh() zeros are defined as the points where the hyperbolic sine function is equal to 0. For real numbers, this is only at x=0, but for complex numbers, the zeros occur at integer multiples of 2π. The definition of the hyperbolic sine function involves the exponential function and the Cauchy formula for sine.
phioder
Hello

How are the sinh() zeros defined?

Unfortunately I don't understand the definitions found, google and wikipedia was searched,
any help would be appreciated

Thank you and best Regards
phioder

Physics news on Phys.org
you could use the fact that [tex] sin(-ix)(i)=sinh(x) [/tex] so the zeros of hyperbolic sine are [tex] in\pi [/tex] for every integer 'n' (complex zeros)

It is not clear to me what you mean by "defining" zeros.

sinh(x), for real numbers, is defined as
[tex]\frac{e^x- e^{-x}}{2}[/tex]
The zeros are 'defined', of course, by
[tex]sinh(x)= \frac{e^x- e^{-x}}{2}= 0[/tex]
which is the same as saying ex= e-x or e2x[/itex]= 1. That leads immediately to x= 0 as the only real zero of sinh(x).

If you expand to complex numbers, it is not to easy to see, from the fact that sinh(x) is defined as
[tex]sinh(z)= \frac{e^z- e^{-z}}{2}[/tex]
and the Cauchy formula
[tex]sin(x)= \frac{e^{iz}- e^{-iz}}{2i}[/tex]
that sinh(z)= (1/i) sin(iz). Since sin(z) is 0 if and only if z is an integer multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex], sinh(z) is 0 if and only if z is an integer multiple of [itex]2\pi[/itex], as mhill said.

Likes Erebus_Oneiros

What is the definition of sinh() zeros?

The zeros of the hyperbolic sine function, sinh(), are the values of the independent variable for which the function equals zero. In other words, they are the solutions to the equation sinh(z) = 0.

How are sinh() zeros related to the zeros of other trigonometric functions?

The sinh() zeros are closely related to the zeros of the cosine function, cos(), and the tangent function, tan(). In fact, the sinh() function can be expressed in terms of cos() and tan() as sinh(z) = cosh(z)/tan(z).

What is the difference between sinh() zeros and roots of a function?

The sinh() zeros are a specific type of roots of a function. While roots refer to any values of the independent variable for which the function equals zero, sinh() zeros specifically refer to the zeros of the hyperbolic sine function.

How can I find the sinh() zeros of a function?

The sinh() zeros can be found by solving the equation sinh(z) = 0. This can be done analytically using various mathematical techniques, or numerically using a computer program or calculator.

What are some real-world applications of understanding sinh() zeros?

Understanding sinh() zeros is important in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be used to solve differential equations, model physical systems, and analyze data in various applications.