Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zeta(3) and Euler's formula

1. Jun 11, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone. I'm trying to understand the step where they wrote

1/2 ∏1/(1+p^-3) =1/2 Ʃ(-1)^ord(k)/k^3

How can I see this? I know the Euler product formula, but it has a negative sign before the p^-3, where here we have a + sign.

Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2013 #2
    The step going from the second to last line, to the last line.

4. Jun 11, 2013 #3
    I need help understanding this equality:

[itex]\prod_{p-prime} \frac{1}{1+\frac{1}{p^3}}= \sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{\sum_p ord_p(k)}}{k^3}[/itex]

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

5. Jun 11, 2013 #4

lurflurf

Homework Helper

We know
    $$\prod_\mathbb{P} (1-p^{-s})^{-1}=\prod_\mathbb{P} \left( \sum_{\mathbb{Z} \ge 0} p^{-s n} \right) ^{-1} = \sum_{\mathbb{Z}>0} n^{-s}$$

with the minus sign it is a little more complicated

$$\prod_\mathbb{P} (1+p^{-s})^{-1}=\prod_\mathbb{P} \left( \sum_{\mathbb{Z} \ge 0} (-p)^{-s n} \right) ^{-1} = \sum_{\mathbb{Z}>0} (-1)^{\sum ord_p(k)}n^{-s}$$

Where the ord_p(k) makes sure we get the right sign (it counts the minuses), clearly

$$\left( \prod_\mathbb{P} (1-p^{-s})^{-1} \right) \left( \prod_\mathbb{P} (1+p^{-s})^{-1} \right) =\zeta(2n)$$

but instead of using that your link makes a simple estimate

6. Jun 11, 2013 #5
    Should [itex]\prod_\mathbb{P} \left( \sum_{\mathbb{Z} \ge 0} p^{-s n} \right) ^{-1}[/itex] have that ^(-1) after it? Or am I missing something..? Are you rewriting 1/(1-p^-s) using geometric series?

Anyways, thanks that was very helpful, I'm looking into the proofs of the product formula via this route.

7. Jun 11, 2013 #6

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Yes that is a geometric series expansion.

8. Jun 11, 2013 #7
    What about the negative one?

9. Jun 12, 2013 #8

lurflurf

Homework Helper

$$\prod_\mathbb{P} (1+p^{-s})^{-1}=
    \prod_\mathbb{P} (1-(-p^{-s}))^{-1}= \\
    \prod_\mathbb{P} \left( 1-p^{-s}+p^{-2s}-p^{-3s}+...+(-1)^k p^{-ks}+... \right) ^{-1} = \sum_{\mathbb{Z}>0} a_n n^{-s}=\frac{\zeta(2n)}{\zeta(n)}$$
    a_n being in{-1,1}
    In the sum each term is positive or negative and we can determine which using
    ord_p(k)
    it is a bit tedious to compute, which is why the link estimates
    here is the wikipedia
    [PLAIN]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki... one way (fundamental theorem of arithmetic).

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook