Proof of Analytic Continuation for Riemann Zeta Function

• Thread starter Jameson
  • Start date
In summary, you are looking for a proof of the analytic continuation of the Riemann Zeta Function, in the form of \zeta(1-s) but you haven't found work shown on how to obtain the long expression. Any links or good books?
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
I've Googled a while for a proof of the analytic continuation of the Riemann Zeta Function, in the form of [tex]\zeta(1-s)[/tex] but I haven't found work shown on how to obtain the long expression. Any links or good books?

Thanks,
Jameson

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you after?

Which long expression do you mean? Do you mean the analytic continuation via functional equation?
Do you want the globally convergent (entire complex plane except@z=1) continuation of [tex]\zeta(z)[/tex]? It is obtained by first doing the usual continuation of [tex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k^z}[/tex] which converges for Re[z]>1 to [tex]\frac{1}{1-2^{1-z}}\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k-1}}{k^z}[/tex] which converges for Re[z]>0 :zzz: . This can be further continued to [tex]z\in \mathbb{C}\setminus\{1\}[/tex] applying Euler's series transformation to the prior series to obtain
[tex]\frac{1}{1-2^{1-z}}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2^{n+1}}\sum_{k=0}^{n}(-1)^k\left(\begin{array}{cc}n\\k\end{array}\right)(k+1)^{-z}[/tex].

Last edited:
Sorry, I'll clarify. This is the form I'm looking for:

[tex]\zeta(1-s)=2^{1-s}{\pi}^{-s}(\sin{\frac{(1-s)\pi}{2}}})(s-1)!\zeta(s)[/tex]

Riemann provided two methods of proving the functional equation in his original paper (though in a symmetric form, it's just minor fiddling to get the version you want). Here's a translation:

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/pub/HistMath/People/Riemann/Zeta/EZeta.pdf

Titchmarhs's "Theory of the Riemann Zeta Function" has several different proofs, as will any book with "Zeta function" in the title and many with "Analytic number theory" will as well.

Last edited:
This, then, is what you are looking for.

Jameson said:
Sorry, I'll clarify. This is the form I'm looking for:
[tex]\zeta(1-s)=2^{1-s}{\pi}^{-s}(\sin{\frac{(1-s)\pi}{2}}})(s-1)!\zeta(s)[/tex]
This one gives the symmetric form of the above, from there you can use your knowledge of the gamma function to obtain the desired form. And by this one, I do mean exercise #21 from pg. 51 of Andrews, G., Askey, R., & Roy, R. (2000). Encyclopedia of mathematics and its applications: special functions . 1st paperback ed. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press., which reads as follows:
Prove that [tex]\pi^{-\frac{s}{2}}\Gamma(\frac{s}{2})\zeta(s)=\pi^{-\frac{1-s}{2}}\Gamma(\frac{1-s}{2})\zeta(1-s)[/tex] as follows:
a) Observe that [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{\sin((2n+1)x)}{2n+1}=(-1)^{m}\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex] for [tex]m\pi<x<(m+1)\pi, m\in\mathbb{N}[/tex]
b) Multiply the equation by [tex]x^{s-1}[/tex] (0 < s < 1) and integrate over [tex](0,\infty)[/tex]. Show that the left side is [tex]\Gamma(s)\sin(\frac{s\pi}{2})(1-2^{-s-1})\zeta(s+1)[/tex] and that the right represents an analytic function for [tex]\Re(s)<1[/tex] and is equal to [tex]2(1-2^{s+1}) \zeta(1-s)[/tex] for [tex]\Re(s)<0[/tex].
c) Deduce the functional equation for the zeta function. (Hardy:smile:)
(I added the smiley, and note that the text had the sum in part (a) starting at n=1, which my prof. confirmed is a typo).

Last edited:

1. What is the Riemann Zeta Function?

The Riemann Zeta Function is a mathematical function that is defined for all complex numbers except for 1. It is denoted by the symbol ζ(s) and is used extensively in number theory, particularly in the study of prime numbers.

2. What is the significance of the Analytic Continuation for the Riemann Zeta Function?

Analytic continuation is a mathematical technique that allows us to extend the domain of a function beyond its original definition. For the Riemann Zeta Function, this means that we can now evaluate it for complex numbers other than the ones for which it was originally defined (s≠1).

3. How was the Analytic Continuation for the Riemann Zeta Function proven?

The proof of the Analytic Continuation for the Riemann Zeta Function was first given by the mathematician Bernhard Riemann in 1859. He used a combination of complex analysis and number theory techniques to show that the function could be extended to the entire complex plane, except for a simple pole at s=1.

4. Why is the Analytic Continuation for the Riemann Zeta Function important?

The Analytic Continuation for the Riemann Zeta Function is important because it allows us to make connections between seemingly unrelated areas of mathematics. It has been used to prove many important theorems, such as the Prime Number Theorem and the Riemann Hypothesis. It also has applications in physics, particularly in quantum field theory.

5. Are there any unsolved problems related to the Analytic Continuation for the Riemann Zeta Function?

Yes, the Riemann Hypothesis, which is one of the most famous unsolved problems in mathematics, is closely related to the Analytic Continuation for the Riemann Zeta Function. It states that all non-trivial zeros of the function lie on the critical line s=1/2. While this has been verified for trillions of zeros, it has yet to be proven or disproven for all possible values of s.