Understanding the Zeta Function and Riemann Hypothesis: A Beginner's Guide

In summary: Hi all,I am a physics student trying to understand the Zeta function and the Riemann hypothesis. Some questions:1. On the Wikipedia page for the Riemann Hypothesis, there is a diagram in the top right hand corner. They state that the diagram is a plot of s = \frac{1}{2} + i \ x . Does that mean that I would have to compute the sum of the Zeta function for each value of x, in order to plot that diagram?2. So how do I calculate the sum of an infinite series if that is the case? For instance, how would I calculate \zeta(\frac{1
hawaiifiver
Hello to all.

This could be quite long. Apologies. I am a physics student trying to understand the Zeta function and the Riemann hypothesis. Its not on my coursework, but I am interested in pure mathematics. I have a few questions. Perhaps you can help me out. Thank you.

My questions are concerned with the Wikipedia page on the Riemann Hypothesis.

(Q1) In the formula for the Zeta function i.e. [tex] \zeta(s) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^s} [/tex] is the [tex] s [/tex] a complex number like [tex] s = a + bi [/tex] Can [tex] a [/tex] and [tex] b [/tex] take any value?

(Q2)

On the Wikipedia page for the Riemann Hypothesis, there is a diagram in the top right hand corner. They state that the diagram is a plot of [tex] s = \frac{1}{2} + i \ x [/tex] . Does that mean that I would have to compute the sum of the Zeta function for each value of x, in order to plot that diagram?

(Q3) So how do I calculate the sum of an infinite series if that is the case? For instance, how would I calculate [tex] \zeta(\frac{1}{2} + i \ 14.135) [/tex]. I ask this because I want to see how they arrive at the zero of the Zeta function in that Wikipedia diagram.

(Q4) Does the value of [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex] determine whether I can calculate the sum of the infinite series of the zeta function?

(Q5) Could you recommend a good introductory book on the Zeta function. As you can see I am pretty much flying solo on figuring this out.

Thanks for your help.

Likes Adam Hrankowski
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey hawaiifiver.

In terms of functions, functions only make sense when the output is something that is finite, and in this same spirit, the Zeta function only makes sense for values that converge.

Wikipedia has some specific details about the convergence of the Zeta function:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_zeta_function

If you want to study things like convergence, you should probably look at some areas of math like analysis and topology. Calculus I and II have preliminary ideas about how to test whether certain sequences converge or not, if you need some background information before going to the higher level material.

So to answer your question, if s is a complex number, then if s = a + bi and Zeta(s) converges or can be shown to converge, then s is a valid part of the domain of the Zeta function.

Hi hawaiifiver! :smile:

You seem to be missing something. That is, the definition

[tex]\zeta(s)=\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}{\frac{1}{n^s}}[/tex]

does not hold for each s. That definition is only for the s with Re(s)>1. That is, for the s=a+bi with a>1.

For all other s, the Riemann zeta function is defined as the analytic continuation of the above sum. To know the values of the Riemann zeta function is points like [itex]\frac{1}{2}+ix[/itex], we can not use the above sum. We will have to use another form.

For more information about the Riemann zeta function, I suggest you read a good book on complex analysis first. I like the book by Freitag & Busam. It includes some information on the zeta and gamma functions.

Best bid for an introduction to the Rieman Zeta (and very nice to read!) is:

John Derbyshire: Prime Obsession, Bernhard Riemann and the Greatest Unsolved
Problem in Mathematics

Likes Adam Hrankowski
If you just want to know the value of [tex] \zeta(\frac{1}{2} + i \ 14.135) [/tex]

got to WolframAlpha and enter

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=RiemannZeta[1%2F2%2B14.135+i

If you want to write your own computer function which calculates zeroes
of the Riemann zeta, I could assist you with my experience in writing a
(PowerBasic) function for that purpose.

micromass said:
Hi hawaiifiver! :smile:

You seem to be missing something. That is, the definition

[tex]\zeta(s)=\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}{\frac{1}{n^s}}[/tex]

does not hold for each s. That definition is only for the s with Re(s)>1. That is, for the s=a+bi with a>1.

For all other s, the Riemann zeta function is defined as the analytic continuation of the above sum. To know the values of the Riemann zeta function is points like [itex]\frac{1}{2}+ix[/itex], we can not use the above sum. We will have to use another form.

For more information about the Riemann zeta function, I suggest you read a good book on complex analysis first. I like the book by Freitag & Busam. It includes some information on the zeta and gamma functions.

I'll check out that book. Thank you.
I found this formula from Konrad Knopp on wikipedia which is a globally convergent series.

[tex]

\zeta(s)=\frac{1}{1-2^{1-s}}
\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac {1}{2^{n+1}}
\sum_{k=0}^n (-1)^k {n \choose k} (k+1)^{-s} [/tex]

Does this converge then, when substituting in s = 1/2 + 14.1347 i

Last edited:
All good advice. Also find a course or book on Complex analysis if you have not already had such.

I am preparing a post:

'Programming details on the computation of the Riemann zeta function using Aribas'

There you can find all details to compute ζ([itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] + 14.1347 i)

Thanks.

1. What is the Zeta Function?

The Zeta Function, denoted by ζ(s), is a mathematical function that was first introduced by Leonard Euler in the 18th century. It is defined as the infinite sum of the reciprocals of all positive integers raised to a power, where the power is given by the input parameter s.

2. What is the significance of the Zeta Function?

The Zeta Function has many important applications in number theory, complex analysis, and physics. It is closely related to the distribution of prime numbers and has been used to prove famous mathematical conjectures, such as the Prime Number Theorem and the Riemann Hypothesis.

3. How do I calculate the Zeta Function?

The Zeta Function cannot be evaluated for all values of s, but for certain values it can be calculated using various methods, such as the Euler-Maclaurin summation formula or the Riemann-Siegel formula. There are also computer programs and online calculators available for calculating the Zeta Function.

4. Can the Zeta Function be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the Zeta Function has many applications in physics and engineering. For example, it is used in quantum field theory to calculate the vacuum energy of a system and in electrical engineering to calculate the impedance of a circuit.

5. Are there any unsolved problems related to the Zeta Function?

Yes, the Riemann Hypothesis, which states that all non-trivial zeros of the Zeta Function lie on the critical line Re(s) = 1/2, is still an open problem in mathematics. Additionally, there are many other unsolved problems and conjectures related to the Zeta Function, making it an active area of research in mathematics.