Zeta function regularization and quantum field theory

In summary, there are two ways to regularize the sum \sum_{r \in Z+1/2} r, but both are equally valid as the sum is infinite. The choice of regularization method is arbitrary, but it is important to be consistent throughout the calculation. After renormalization, all infinities will cancel out and the final result will be finite and well-defined. This applies to calculations in quantum field theory.
sgd37

Homework Statement

Hi I need to regularize [itex]\sum_{r \in Z+1/2} r [/itex]

In my opinion there are two ways of going about it either re-express it as [itex] \sum_{r \in Z+1/2} r = \sum_{r =1} r - \frac{1}{2} \sum_{r =1} = \zeta (-1) - \zeta (0) = \frac{1}{6} [/itex]

or

[itex] \sum_{r \in Z+1/2} r = \frac{1}{2} \sum_{r =1} r - \sum_{r =1} r = - \frac{1}{2} \zeta (-1) = \frac{1}{24} [/itex]

I know I need the second answer however I don't see any reason why the first answer is not valid. In fact I think it more so, since the first sum goes term for term with the second, whereas in the second method the r =2 term of the first sum is canceled by the r=1 of the second thus having a staggered structure if the sum was finite. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
sgd37 said:

Homework Statement

Hi I need to regularize [itex]\sum_{r \in Z+1/2} r [/itex]

In my opinion there are two ways of going about it either re-express it as [itex] \sum_{r \in Z+1/2} r = \sum_{r =1} r - \frac{1}{2} \sum_{r =1} = \zeta (-1) - \zeta (0) = \frac{1}{6} [/itex]

or

[itex] \sum_{r \in Z+1/2} r = \frac{1}{2} \sum_{r =1} r - \sum_{r =1} r = - \frac{1}{2} \zeta (-1) = \frac{1}{24} [/itex]

I know I need the second answer however I don't see any reason why the first answer is not valid. In fact I think it more so, since the first sum goes term for term with the second, whereas in the second method the r =2 term of the first sum is canceled by the r=1 of the second thus having a staggered structure if the sum was finite. Any thoughts?

You are making a good point. I am assuming you are encountering this in a quantum field theory calculation?

The unfortunate answer (which, I know, will feel unsatisfactory) is that both expressions are equally valid. This is because the sum is actually infinite, as you know, and therefore regularizing can give different finite results, depending on how one proceed. So the finite answer is pretty much arbitrary! But the key point is that after renormalization, all infinities cancel out (in a renormalizable theory). The key point is that one must regularize all divergent expressions in a consistent way. So if one uses the second expression to regularize an expression in one step of the calculation, one must use the same expression to regularize other divergent sums and then the final, renormalized result is finite and well-defined.

I hope this helps a bit.

1. What is Zeta function regularisation?

Zeta function regularisation is a mathematical technique used to define and evaluate otherwise divergent infinite series. It involves the use of the Riemann zeta function, which is a special function that assigns a numerical value to every positive integer and complex number. This technique is often used in quantum field theory and statistical mechanics to obtain meaningful results from otherwise infinite calculations.

2. How does Zeta function regularisation work?

Zeta function regularisation works by assigning a value to an infinite series using the Riemann zeta function. This is done by analytically continuing the zeta function to complex values, which allows for the evaluation of the series at negative integer values. The resulting value is then used as a regularised sum for the original infinite series.

3. What are the advantages of using Zeta function regularisation?

Zeta function regularisation allows for the evaluation of otherwise divergent infinite series, making it a powerful tool in various fields of mathematics and physics. It also provides a more rigorous and consistent method for dealing with infinities compared to other regularisation techniques. Additionally, the use of the zeta function allows for the calculation of exact values rather than just approximations.

4. Are there any limitations to Zeta function regularisation?

While Zeta function regularisation is a useful technique, it does have some limitations. It is only applicable to certain types of infinite series, and the resulting values may not always have physical interpretations. Additionally, the process of analytically continuing the zeta function can be complex and may require advanced mathematical knowledge.

5. Can Zeta function regularisation be applied in other fields besides mathematics and physics?

Yes, Zeta function regularisation has also been used in other fields such as economics, finance, and computer science. In these fields, it is often used to handle infinities that arise in various calculations and equations. However, its applications may be limited in these fields as the use of the Riemann zeta function may not always be appropriate or relevant.