1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zeta function regularization

1. Oct 24, 2007 #1
    ...on the off chance anyone knows this, I'm trying to get from:

[tex]V=\frac{1}{2A}Tr Log(\frac{-\Box}{\mu^2})[/tex]

to

[tex]V=\frac{(-1)^{\eta-1}}{4\pi^\eta\eta!}\frac{\pi}{L}^{D-1}\zeta'(1-D)[/tex]

I know this is a shot in the dark, but in case anyone has experience.

The paper I'm reading explains 'it is easy to show that' to get to the seconds equation !! I hate that. The paper also has a reference...the reference is Birrel and Davies, great I thought, I have that book, the reference is for p340, which takes me to the Index !!! lol.

Anyway, I guess the key is figuring how the trace of the log of the box operator gives me the derivative of the zeta function.

Anyone??

:)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2007 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

What are [itex]D[/itex], [itex]\eta[/itex], and [itex]L[/itex]? On what space is the box operator defined?

4. Oct 24, 2007 #3
    D is the dimension of spacetime (5), eta is (D-1)/2 and the box operator is the flat space 5D operator. This is a paper where the Casimir energy is calculated in the bulk of the RS model.

5. Oct 25, 2007 #4

blechman

Science Advisor

Zeta-function evaluation of determinants is described quite well in Pierre Ramond's text, "Field Theory: A Modern Primer", Chapter 3. The derivation is long, but I think you'll find what you need there.

Hope that helps!

Out of curiosity, what paper are you trying to read?

6. Oct 31, 2007 #5
    Hey, Sorry for delayed repy blechman.
    Thanks for the suggestion of ramond, I managed to borrow a copy from my supervisor.

Incidently I'm reading Radion Effective Potential in Brane World by Garriga, Pujolas and Tanaka.

7. Nov 1, 2007 #6

blechman

Science Advisor

You can check out TASI-2002 articles by C. Csaki; also M. Quiros has a bunch of good reviews out there on effective potenitals of higher dim fields. R. Sundrum has a TASI-2004 review that's pretty nice too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?