1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zhumell 3x Barlow

1. Jan 15, 2008 #1
    Sorry to be starting a new topic yet again, hope I don't look like a post whore:

I'm thinking about buying this barlow but first I have some questions.

1) Will I be sacrificing a lot of image quality (if any) in using a 3x barlow? My scope is a 12" Dob.
    2) Will the barlow simply triple the size of the image I see without it, or will it make other things visible that weren't before?
    3) Is it really worth it to buy a 3x barlow rather than a 2x?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2008 #2

turbo

Gold Member

You need to think about your current EP line-up. I chose my EPs based partly on my choice of Barlows. If you have a 2X and a 1.5x, you've got a real mix-up depending on what EPs you choose. Make up a little spread-sheet of the available magnifications. Remember that some EPs have pretty nice eye-relief, and that this wonderful feature is still available when you've got the EP stacked in a Barlow. It makes a difference.

4. Jan 15, 2008 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Also, for your #2, a Barlow will reduce the brightness of the image, so less things will be visible, not more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?