Have you seen the mysterious zig zagging lights in the sky?

• Thread starter MilosOpacic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lights Sky
In summary: However, without more information, it is hard to say for sure.In summary, these lights appear to be moving around erratically and may not be stars at all. If you can provide more information, such as video or pictures, we may be able to help you figure out what they are.
MilosOpacic
hi i have noticed a pair of zig zagging lights about 6 months ago when i was having a smoke break, i decided to take a closer look and for the last 6 months I've been watching them everyday...they are there every night, i have even shown friends and family and they saw the same thing...it really creeped me out so i just wanted to get some opinions on it. if you take a look at any of the stars in orions belt you can tell with the naked eye that each star is stationary...these `lights` that I am tracking have very irregular zig zagging movements. if you would like me to show you please make sure you are in my timezone plus 6, i am currently in croatia i have noticed these lights when i used to live in Canada...but i see them from here to

Physics news on Phys.org
Video?

Perhaps this should go into the debunking forums? It would be seen by more people who would be able to answer this in my opinion.

You would need to get more specific however about the lights, exactly what you see. Also video/pictures would be very helpful.

MilosOpacic said:
hi i have noticed a pair of zig zagging lights about 6 months ago when i was having a smoke break, i decided to take a closer look and for the last 6 months I've been watching them everyday...they are there every night, i have even shown friends and family and they saw the same thing...it really creeped me out so i just wanted to get some opinions on it. if you take a look at any of the stars in orions belt you can tell with the naked eye that each star is stationary...these `lights` that I am tracking have very irregular zig zagging movements. if you would like me to show you please make sure you are in my timezone plus 6, i am currently in croatia i have noticed these lights when i used to live in Canada...but i see them from here to

Welcome to the PF, Milos.

zomgwtf said:
Perhaps this should go into the debunking forums? It would be seen by more people who would be able to answer this in my opinion.

You would need to get more specific however about the lights, exactly what you see. Also video/pictures would be very helpful.

Agreed -- I moved it from GD to here in S&D.

Milos -- could you please provide more information? We should be able to help you figure out what they are, assuming what you say is true.

You should talk to a local amateur astronomer - they are pretty keen on what's going on in the night sky.

sorry I am new to this, i made an account just to get some answers, but the lights look like stars at first glance to an average person but if you take a closer look you will notice a very disticnt zig zagging pattern

i haven't tried taking a video yet but i have a feeling that it wouldn't be noticable on camera
they are very easy to spot, I've been following them for half a year now

Have you tried an experiment in a dark room, looking a a small spot of light on the other side of the room (with about the same size as the lights you see in the sky)? It could be a small motion that your eyes are making, possibly.

yes i have in fact, i even compare it to neighbouring stars as i said every star in orions belt is stationary...but these are CLEARLY moving

Moving like satellite moving?

no man, circling and swaying around...im looking at it right now...

MilosOpacic said:
no man, circling and swaying around...im looking at it right now...

Take a video? Unspecified lights in the sky doesn't really give us much to work with.

dude you can't see it on video...i just said that, just forget the whole thing, i clearly came to the wrong place for this

MilosOpacic said:
dude you can't see it on video...i just said that, just forget the whole thing, i clearly came to the wrong place for this

How can you not see it on video?

I'd add... why is this the wrong place? True, you've come to a place where your claims won't be believed without evidence, but would you rather have people simply repeat what you already believe without at examining it?

Well, if you're looking at or near Orion's belt, there are a number of nebula in that region. The most prominent is the Great Orion nebula. The Great Orion Nebula can be seen without much trouble with the naked eye, as long as there is not much light pollution in your location. It is diffuse and dim, but it is possible to see. (Even in moderate light pollution it is possible to see. But the less light pollution the better.)

Due to the nature of the human eye, it is much easier to see dim objects using your peripheral vision. If you look at a very dim object directly, it might seem to "disappear", only to reappear as you scan your eyes to a slightly different location, and the object is back in the periphery. The reason for this is that the central part of the macula, called the fovea -- the region of the eye that is responsible for sharp central vision -- has a an extremely high concentration of cones. Correspondingly, there is a small concentration of rods in the fovea. But rods, not cones, are the receptors capable of seeing very dim objects (rods are more sensitive than cones, although rods can't detector color).

To the unaware, this can make looking at very dim objects quite frustrating. One sees the object of interest in one's general field of vision. But when trying to look straight at it, it disappears. And then reappears later only after one looks a little away.

I suppose this might give the impression of blinking, or perhaps even moving or swaying (of an astronomical object that is very dim to the naked eye). Perhaps.

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
Well, if you're looking at or near Orion's belt, there are a number of nebula in that region. The most prominent is the Great Orion nebula. The Great Orion Nebula can be seen without much trouble with the naked eye, as long as there is not much light pollution in your location. It is diffuse and dim, but it is possible to see.

Due to the nature of the human eye, it is much easier to see dim objects using your peripheral vision. If you look at a very dim object directly, it might seem to "disappear", only to reappear as you scan your eyes to a slightly different location, and the object is back in the periphery. The reason for this is that the central part of the macula, called the fovea -- the region of the eye that is responsible for sharp central vision -- has a an extremely high concentration of cones. Correspondingly, there is a small concentration of rods in the fovea. But rods, not cones, are the receptors capable of seeing very dim objects (rods are more sensitive than cones, although rods can't detector color).

To the unaware, this can make looking at very dim objects quite frustrating. One sees the object of interest in one's general field of vision. But when trying to look straight at it, it disappears. And then reappears later only after one looks a little away.

I suppose this might give the impression of something (very dim) blinking, or perhaps even moving or swaying. Perhaps.

I'd go with this, but it appears the OP threw a hissy fit and stormed off.

pergradus said:
I'd go with this, but it appears the OP threw a hissy fit and stormed off.

If so, then I think we can guess as to the motivation:

Propaganda: "A monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)

MilosOpacic said:

No, you said you haven't tried taking a video.

i haven't tried taking a video yet

See?

If you haven't stormed off for good, can you at least tell us what stars they're near? A program like Stellarium will tell you the names of the stars.

Right, so it can be seen from Canada and Croatia.

They are two rather different perspectives. So a few questions:

1. Are you sure you're looking at the same thing? - This to me would imply it's more related to your eyes than the sky.
2. If you've seen it every night, with such certainty, why have you not tried to 'capture' it on video or reported it to someone who could help? - Amateur astronomers would jump on this opportunity.

first of all I am nowhere near on the level of you guys with these kinds of things I am a normal kid so i just wanted to see what other people.
Second of all i didnt throw a `hissy` fit...i just went to sleep cause as i said I am in a differnt time zone
I will take a video tonight and ill upload it,

nismaratwork said:
How can you not see it on video?

I'd add... why is this the wrong place? True, you've come to a place where your claims won't be believed without evidence, but would you rather have people simply repeat what you already believe without at examining it?

it is very faint and you have to focus in on it, i tried with my iphone and my hands are to shaky so it looks like everything is moving, i need a frickin tripod or something, but serioisley, instead of me taking a video...message me if your in my timezone and ill go out on my balcony, spot it instantly and ill let you guys know where to look...im not a friggin scientist

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread closed for obvious reasons. Thanks folks.

1. What could be causing the mysterious zig zagging lights in the sky?

There are a few possible explanations for these lights. They could be natural phenomena, such as a meteor shower or the Northern Lights. They could also be man-made, such as drones or military aircraft. Without further evidence or information, it is difficult to determine the exact cause.

2. Have these lights been reported in other locations?

Yes, these types of lights have been reported in various locations around the world. However, it is important to note that not all reports can be verified or explained.

3. Could these lights be extraterrestrial in origin?

While it is always a possibility, there is currently no concrete evidence to support the theory that these lights are of extraterrestrial origin. Further investigation and evidence would be needed to make any conclusions.

4. Are there any scientific studies or research being done on these lights?

There have been numerous studies and research conducted on sightings of mysterious lights in the sky. However, due to the lack of concrete evidence and varying reports, it is still a topic of debate and speculation in the scientific community.

5. How can we determine if these lights are real or just a hoax?

The best way to determine the validity of these lights is through scientific investigation and analysis. This could include gathering eyewitness accounts, analyzing any available footage or photos, and ruling out any other possible explanations. However, it is important to remain skeptical and not jump to conclusions without sufficient evidence.