Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zimbabwean players protested against Mugabe

1. Apr 10, 2003 #1
    I know this is a bit of a different thread in the context of Iraq. Do you agree that Mugabe is doing to his people what Saddam did to his? In the cricket world cup two Zimbabwean players protested against Mugabe and were told if they ever came back to Zimbabwe they would be killed. Is this right and should we do something about it?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2003 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

There are dozens of countries in the same plight, Viper. We're only one nation and we can't help all of them at once. But I would support a doctrine of going into as many of those countries as we reasonably can. That would be a major change in policy though that the American people and the world community would not support.

There is much hypocrisy on both sides. One side says we interfere too much with the affairs of others but should do more. The other says we should do as much as we can to help others but we are not the world's policeman.

4. Apr 10, 2003 #3

FZ+

The Mugabe problem should have been nipped in the bud at the last election. But now, war isn't the best policy.

Since the opposition is still around the focus should be to get the international community to judge the previous election invalid (as many independent observers suggested) and call for a re-election. And this time, stick it peacekeepers to make sure this election is genuine. Until we do that, Mugabe still maintains a tenuous idea of being semi-democratically elected, and it would be exceedingly difficult to deal with him, or to put in the idea of being liberators.

5. Apr 11, 2003 #4
    Im not sure if you realise but im from england

6. Apr 11, 2003 #5

FZ+

Does it make a difference?

7. Apr 11, 2003 #6

russ_watters

Maybe he was referring to my "we're only one nation" phrase, FZ+. I wasn't inferring that you were American, Viper - "we" means me and my fellow Americans, not specifically you.

8. Apr 11, 2003 #7
    What I meant was that I feel that something should be done about zimbabwe in general.By the way russ, what other countries are in the same plight?

9. Apr 11, 2003 #8

russ_watters

N Korea for starters. Somalia, the Ivory Coast (France's little war) and a handful of other african countries.

10. Apr 11, 2003 #9

kat

FZ-
    Do you think a fair election is possible at this point? with so many of the opposition parties supporters dead and imprisoned?

11. Apr 12, 2003 #10
    Kat that is so true? at this rate only way mugabe would go is to die of age.

12. Apr 12, 2003 #11

FZ+

Hmm, well getting them released would be a start. No matter what we do, it is neccessary that they be released. Even if we invade (which I don't think we should), we would need the opposition to take over.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?