Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Zimmerman verdict

1. Jul 13, 2013 #1

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2013 #2
    I didn't follow the case very closely. Is this the new OJ?

4. Jul 13, 2013 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The ABC Chief of legal affairs is about to have a stroke he's so appalled by the actions of the defense lawyers. He said he can't wait to find out what the jurors were thinking.

This is truly a miscarriage of justice. Like he said, that someone could stalk a person, start a fight with them and then shoot them because he was afraid of being hit, and then be found innocent of the killing is just unbelievable. Don't try to defend yourself in Florida, the person who attacked you can legally kill you.

5. Jul 13, 2013 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I can't imagine the kind of riots that are going to ensue because of this absolutely disgusting decision. I feel bad for the kid's parents. I don't get how Florida manages to screw up over and over.

6. Jul 13, 2013 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, I'm really surprised. But then again, it *is* Florida, after all.

7. Jul 13, 2013 #6
    What happens if you start a fight with somebody and that person starts beating you. Do you have to let them kill you?

8. Jul 13, 2013 #7

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Am I the only one who thinks Martin was a big city hoodlum who jumped the wrong country boy?

(duck and cover)

old jim

9. Jul 13, 2013 #8

Evo

You can kill them, but then you are guilty of at least manslaughter.

10. Jul 13, 2013 #9

Evo

I hope you're just making a really, really bad joke. You realize that Zimmerman was chasing after the kid? If you aren't familiar with the case, you really shouldn't comment.

From the article in the OP

11. Jul 13, 2013 #10

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Murder is murder imo (speaking in loose terms). The arguments given by both of the sides have made things really hazy for me but the end result is black and white: the 17 year old kid was killed.

12. Jul 13, 2013 #11

reenmachine

Gold Member

Didn't follow this case at all , all I know is the murderer is a middle-aged white guy and the victim a black guy and that everybody thinks the killer should be convicted (I'm unaware if there's enough information available for the public to have an informed opinion , is there?).It seems that the interest of this case is very racial in nature.

I say who cares about their race , just give him a fair trial and let the justice system operate like they always do , for better or for worst.

The new trend in social medias with people regrouping and putting other people on their own amateurish trial is starting to worry me to be honest.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  13. Jul 13, 2013 #12
    Florida sentencing laws according to Wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_punishments_for_murder_in_the_United_States

A manslaughter charge has about the same punishment as a second degree murder charge. It will be interesting to hear what the jury has to say.

Edit: They had overcharged Zimmerman with an original charge of first degree murder and they ended up getting nothing.

My wife was a juror on a similar case and that guy walked also, because their was no charge that fit the crime.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  14. Jul 13, 2013 #13

Physics_UG

Gold Member

Zimmerman confronted Trayvon (in a very benign way) because there were recently several burglaries in the neighborhood. Trayvon beat the crap out of him and Zimmerman feared for his life. By the stand your ground law in Florida you can kill someone even if you THINK your life is at risk. Zimmerman killed Trayvon in self defense.

15. Jul 13, 2013 #14

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

16. Jul 13, 2013 #15

russ_watters

No, you're not.

The injustice here is the malicious prosecution, outside influences and race baiting. But the jury came to the only conclusion possible: if someone is on top of you, beating you, shooting them is self defense.

17. Jul 13, 2013 #16

russ_watters

I don't think you know what manslaughter is.

18. Jul 13, 2013 #17

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

You say this like this law isn't ridiculous and barbaric.

19. Jul 13, 2013 #18

Evo

It's a terrible tragedy caused by some self appointed vigilante with a history of violence (Zimmerman has arrests for both domestic violence and assaulting a police officer) chasing an innocent kid. The kid wasn't doing anything illegal, if you're not familiar with what happened, you can read the transcripts of the calls Zimmerman made where police dispatch told him to stop going after the kid and let them handle it. Zimmerman ignored the police warning to back off. The entire thing is Zimmerman's fault.

But in Florida, you only need to be afraid of bodily injury at the time you kill the person you attacked to be considered innocent.

20. Jul 13, 2013 #19

russ_watters

Yes, you are speaking loosely. The law isn't.

21. Jul 13, 2013 #20

russ_watters

All of that is true (though he wasn't just afraid of injury: he was being injured) and the relevant part at the end points to an innocent verdict.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook