Does Zinc React with Acetic and Phosphoric Acid?

• Thread starter Soaring Crane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid Zinc
In summary, zinc reacts with both acetic acid and phosphoric acid, causing the liberation of hydrogen. The standard electrode potential for zinc is -0.763 V, while the potential for hydrogen is 0. This means that zinc will be oxidized and hydrogen will be reduced in the reactions. The rate of the reactions will depend on the strength or concentration of the acid and the dissolution of the zinc. The chemical equations for reactions between zinc and silver nitrate, copper nitrate, acetic acid, and phosphoric acid are all correctly balanced.
Soaring Crane
Does zinc react with both acetic acid (CH3COOH) and phosphoric acid (H3PO4)? I can't figure out the chemical equations for them and am wondering if no reactions occur.

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Dropping a piece of Zn metal into an acid will cause the liberation of hydrogen.

The standard electrode (reduction) potential Eo of Zn, i.e.

Zn2+ + 2 e- --> Zn is -0.763 V

whereas the potential for hydrogen, the reference is 0.

2 H+ + 2 e- --> H2 ,

so zinc will be oxidized and H will be reduced, and the rate will be determined by the strength or concentration (pH) of the acid and the dissolution of the Zn.

Since I'm on the subject of zinc, did I balance/write these chemical equations properly?

Zn + 2AgNO3 --> 2Ag + Zn(NO3)2 (zinc with silver nitrate)

Zn + Cu(NO3)2 --> Cu + Zn(NO3)2 (zinc with copper nitrate)

Thanks.

Looks fine.

Are these chemical equations even remotely correct?

(zinc with acetic acid) Zn + 2CH3CO2H --> H2 + Zn(C2H3O2)2

(zinc with phosphoric acid) 3Zn + 2H3PO4 --> 3H2 + Zn3(PO4)2

Thanks.

Any volunteers?

Thanks.

Looks OK, although I would write Zn(CH3CO2)2 to be consistent on both sides of equation.

Last edited:

1. How does zinc react with acetic and phosphoric acid?

When zinc is placed in acetic acid, a weak acid, it will react by dissolving and producing zinc acetate and hydrogen gas. However, when placed in phosphoric acid, a strong acid, the reaction is much more vigorous and produces zinc phosphate, water, and hydrogen gas.

2. What is the chemical equation for the reaction between zinc and acetic and phosphoric acid?

The chemical equation for the reaction between zinc and acetic acid is Zn + 2CH3COOH → Zn(CH3COO)2 + H2. The chemical equation for the reaction between zinc and phosphoric acid is Zn + 2H3PO4 → Zn3(PO4)2 + 3H2.

3. Will the reaction between zinc and acetic and phosphoric acid release any harmful substances?

No, the reaction between zinc and acetic and phosphoric acid does not release any harmful substances. The only products of the reactions are zinc compounds and hydrogen gas, which are both safe.

4. What is the purpose of using zinc in the production of acetic and phosphoric acid?

Zinc is often used in the production of acetic and phosphoric acid as a catalyst to speed up the reaction. It also helps to regulate the pH level of the solutions.

5. Can zinc completely dissolve in acetic and phosphoric acid?

No, zinc cannot completely dissolve in acetic and phosphoric acid. Some zinc will remain in solid form, while the rest will dissolve to form the products of the reaction.