Build Zip Line with Steel Tubing: 500lb Load Bearing

In summary, JDI is considering building a zip line in their back yard and using steel tubing as the end anchors. The specification calls for a span of 75', support 500lbs at the center, 1/4" steel cable, and anchoring the tubing into a 8"x6' masonry wall. The tubing will be exposed 4' and the wall will only be 6' high. JDI is looking for advice on what size tubing to use and what type.
vagajdbond
I am looking at building a zip line in my back yard and using steel tubing as my end anchors with the following specifications

75' span / support 500lbs at the center / 1/4" steel cable / anchoring the tubing into a 8"x6' masonry wall and encasing it is concrete with an additional 4' of tubing exposed.

I was considering 2x2x.250 but I am starting to believe that might be to small for this. Would 3x3x.375 be able to handle this type of load? If not what size and type (round or square) would handle this. Appreciate any advise on this. - JD

Engineering news on Phys.org
I haven't ever thought of this kind of design before. Why will you use tubing? Why not attach an eyebolt to the masonry wall and then loop the line through the eyebolt, fold it back on itself perhaps between 12 and 24 inches and use a crimp type fastening to hold the loop made by the cable?

If I picture your design correctly, you are asking if the tubing will bend along the horizontal due to the downward load and resulting moment between the end of the tubing and the point at which the tubing goes into the wall? If this is a concern, why not just make the tubing flush with the wall? Why are you exposing 4' of tubing?

I am probably missing all sorts of design considerations, never looked very closely at zip line attachments.

Grinkle - Wow that was a quick response thanks! The wall is only 6' high so I need to extend it up to cover the slope needed to get the trolley moving. That being said I did plan on using eyebolts with the fold back you mentioned but I will be attaching them to the tubing at approximately 10' on one side and 8' at the other. So my concern is the downward load on the tubing and what sizing I would need to support approx 500lbs. Not that I would ever have that much on the line but I would like to beef it up.

Ah- the tubing is vertically extended - I get it. Use the thickest tubing you can find. The cost won't differ by much. Gross overdesign is the way to go with this project, imo.

We don't discuss dangerous projects here on the PF. You shouldn't be asking for advice like this on the Internet. Please try to find a local professional resource to help you with designing and building your Zipline. Thread is done.

What materials are needed to build a zip line with steel tubing?

The materials needed to build a zip line with steel tubing include steel tubing, cables, pulleys, anchors, tensioners, and hardware such as nuts and bolts. Other materials such as padding for the seat and handles may also be necessary for comfort and safety.

What is the maximum weight that a zip line with steel tubing can hold?

A zip line with steel tubing can typically hold up to 500 pounds of weight. However, it is important to always follow the manufacturer's recommendations and guidelines for weight limits to ensure the safety of riders.

How do you determine the appropriate length of steel tubing needed for a zip line?

The appropriate length of steel tubing needed for a zip line depends on the desired length of the ride, the terrain of the area, and the weight limit of the zip line. It is recommended to consult with a professional or refer to the manufacturer's guidelines for specific calculations and measurements.

What is the process for installing a zip line with steel tubing?

The process for installing a zip line with steel tubing involves several steps, including selecting a suitable location, measuring and marking the distance between anchor points, securing the anchors and tensioners, attaching the steel tubing and cables, and testing the zip line for safety and functionality.

How do you ensure the safety of riders on a zip line with steel tubing?

To ensure the safety of riders on a zip line with steel tubing, it is important to regularly inspect all materials and hardware for wear and tear, follow weight limits and guidelines, and provide proper safety gear such as helmets and harnesses. It is also important to regularly maintain and replace any worn or damaged components.