Zip line physics

• Thread starter Marcpost
  • Start date
I need a couple of formulas to determine the live and dead load on a stretched cable for a zip line. They are:

1. If a cable of "A" length and "B" weight is stretched from Point "C" to Point "D" with a sag of "Z" percent, and I place a live weight of "E" pounds at distance "F" from point "C" what is the live load on the cable and what is the stress at points "C" and "D".

2. If the Elevation of point "C" is "X" and Point "D" is "X-Y" and the sag in the cable is "Z" , what is the speed of live weight "E" at distance "F" from point "C".

I would like these formulas in a form that I can use them with Excel so that I can plug in the variables to get max speed, min speed, max stresses, etc.

I want to be able to determine the elevations of the termination points of zip lines in order to get the desired speeds at the end termination point without having the participant stop in the middle. How strong the termination points need to be, how strong the cable must be, for various size zip line lengths.

This is a post for which I would ask the OP to present the status of his analysis so far, in terms of the fundamental mechanics involved and the equations being applied. Unfortunately, the questions were asked 10 years ago.

Dear friends ,
I need your help for some analysis ,I am going to tie the two ropes of 10mm diameter in parallel lanes to run the trolley which carry the weight of 1 ton over the cables for the length of 150 mtr . Kindly tell me the what is the pillar diameter and the tension to be created on cables . the height of cables will be 15 feet, The trolley will be push & pulled by Motor with separate 5mm guy wire which will be placed in between two parallel 10mm lines, Kindly guide me can i do this .

<< e-mail address deleted my the Mentors >>

The Image gives the better idea of the project
Need clarifications on below points
1. The Steel wire rope of 10mm two ropes are sufficient to carry the trolley of 1 ton for 150 mtr
2. How many pillars to be used to hold the double cable at each side .
3.What is the tension should be created at the ends .

If any cautions to be taken care please suggest me.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

anorlunda

Mentor
Insights Author
Gold Member
These are structures which could injure or kill people if they fail. For those applications, you must hire a structural engineer and you must comply with all code requirements. In most places, code compliance is required by law.

Asking questions on the Internet is not an acceptable way to do that. PF can not comment on your plans.

Thread closed.