Calculate Zip Line Physics: Live & Dead Loads, Speed, Stress

In summary, the live load on a stretched cable is dependent on the sag, the weight of the object being carried, and the distance between the points where the weight is placed. The stress at the points is also dependent on the sag and the weight.
Marcpost
I need a couple of formulas to determine the live and dead load on a stretched cable for a zip line. They are:

1. If a cable of "A" length and "B" weight is stretched from Point "C" to Point "D" with a sag of "Z" percent, and I place a live weight of "E" pounds at distance "F" from point "C" what is the live load on the cable and what is the stress at points "C" and "D".

2. If the Elevation of point "C" is "X" and Point "D" is "X-Y" and the sag in the cable is "Z" , what is the speed of live weight "E" at distance "F" from point "C".

I would like these formulas in a form that I can use them with Excel so that I can plug in the variables to get max speed, min speed, max stresses, etc.

I want to be able to determine the elevations of the termination points of zip lines in order to get the desired speeds at the end termination point without having the participant stop in the middle. How strong the termination points need to be, how strong the cable must be, for various size zip line lengths.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a post for which I would ask the OP to present the status of his analysis so far, in terms of the fundamental mechanics involved and the equations being applied. Unfortunately, the questions were asked 10 years ago.

Dear friends ,
I need your help for some analysis ,I am going to tie the two ropes of 10mm diameter in parallel lanes to run the trolley which carry the weight of 1 ton over the cables for the length of 150 mtr . Kindly tell me the what is the pillar diameter and the tension to be created on cables . the height of cables will be 15 feet, The trolley will be push & pulled by Motor with separate 5mm guy wire which will be placed in between two parallel 10mm lines, Kindly guide me can i do this .

<< e-mail address deleted my the Mentors >>

The Image gives the better idea of the project
Need clarifications on below points
1. The Steel wire rope of 10mm two ropes are sufficient to carry the trolley of 1 ton for 150 mtr
2. How many pillars to be used to hold the double cable at each side .
3.What is the tension should be created at the ends .

If any cautions to be taken care please suggest me.

Attachments

• image003 (1).jpg
    image003 (1).jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 242
Last edited by a moderator:
These are structures which could injure or kill people if they fail. For those applications, you must hire a structural engineer and you must comply with all code requirements. In most places, code compliance is required by law.

Asking questions on the Internet is not an acceptable way to do that. PF can not comment on your plans.

Thread closed.

Likes davenn and berkeman

1. What is the purpose of calculating zip line physics?

Calculating zip line physics allows us to determine the necessary design and safety measures for constructing a zip line. It helps us understand the forces and stresses involved, as well as the speed and weight limits for the zip line.

2. How do you calculate the live and dead loads for a zip line?

The live load for a zip line is the weight of the person(s) using the zip line. This can be calculated by determining the average weight of all potential users and multiplying it by the maximum number of users allowed on the zip line at one time. The dead load is the weight of the zip line itself, including the cable, trolleys, and other components. This can be calculated by adding together the weights of each individual component.

3. What factors affect the speed of a zip line?

The speed of a zip line is affected by several factors, including the slope of the line, the weight of the rider(s), the tension of the cable, and any external forces such as wind or friction. Additionally, the length and design of the zip line can also impact the speed.

4. How can I determine the stress on a zip line?

The stress on a zip line can be calculated by dividing the total weight (live load and dead load) by the cross-sectional area of the cable. This will give you the stress in pounds per square inch (psi). It is important to ensure that the stress on the cable does not exceed its maximum load capacity.

5. What safety measures should be taken when constructing a zip line?

When constructing a zip line, safety should be the top priority. Proper materials and equipment should be used, and the zip line should be regularly inspected and maintained. It is also important to consider the weight and speed limits for the zip line and to provide adequate padding and braking systems to ensure the safety of riders.