Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Zodiacal light viewing

1. Aug 31, 2016 #1

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

Up until the equinox, we are now in prime Zodiacal light viewing season - in the East before morning twilight.

You need clear skies, and no moon helps. I lived in a very sparsely populated area for a long time and this time of year was always great for me to observe things I could never see as a city kid.

FWIW just before the Vernal Equinox is good, too. The best time is after sunset and twilight fades.
    Looks like a triangle of diffuse light in the Eastern or Western horizon depending on the season.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zodiacal_light

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2016 #2

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

For some reason, maybe because of a flicker from an old memory, this makes me miss my grandpa. He never stopped pulling a chair out (or motorcycle) to watch nature and the night sky. That he was able to retain so much good spirit and wonder about the world, after all that he had experienced, was always incredible to me, especially considering the attitudes of many other adults around him. In all my life, few people have stopped to watch with me. He did! There are many people that believe sky watching to be a waste of time or of no benefit. I say, they are the crazy ones!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted